• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brain family Aston 1920

my husband is a member of the reeves family his moms maiden name was ellen Elizabeth brain - they lived on Lichfield road aston

Sue, your husbands mother and debmarys gt grandfather were brother and sister.

1891 97 Rocky Lane, Aston

William Brain age 27 born Halesowen Worcs
Elizabeth age 26 b Woolwich , London
WILLIAM E age 2 ( debmarys gt grandad)
James age 6 months

1901 288 Lichfield Road, Aston

William Brain age 37 b Halesowen
Elizabeth age 37 b London
William e age 11
James age 10
George age 9
Albert age 6
Arthur age 2
Richard age 7 months

1911 288 Lichfield road Aston

William Brain age 48 b Halesowen Bird dealer.
Elizabeth age 47 b London
George 17
Albert 16
Richard 10
Harriet 8
ELIZABETH E age 5 ( born 20th April 1906 reg, Ellen Elizabeth died in 1989)

Last edited:
This is brilliant. We have gone from having just a grandad to having gt grand parents, gt uncles, gt aunts the whole family is interested.. The only problem I now have is I can't find births for William Brain in halesowen or elizabeth Kirkham in Woolwich. . The only elizabeth I've found in Woolwich doesnt match with the dates. there's approx 6 yrs differance.. any one got any more clues... many thanks..

George albert brain (my grandad )married Lucy Higgins they had at least 9 children but only 6 children who lived.. out of them 4 are still living including my dad sidney William. The others named June, George (deceased), Derek, jackie and janet (deceased)... all have children and grandchildren. Most still live in Birmingham not far from aston.

Last edited:
debmary, i have found your Williams birth in Dec quarter 1863 Stourbridge which is the area for Halesowen

His mother Hannah, married William Harvey Gem on 24th November 1868 in Rowington.
Now please bear with me because as often been said on here the enumerators had often imbibed a consdiderable amount of alcohol on their way round the area, LOL
1871 Rowington

Willim gem age 40 miller
Hannah age 33
Ellen 14
john 8
George 2
Arthur 5 months all born Rowington
William Brain b Halesowen ,son in law, (that meant son by law/stepson (age 21 married. WHAT, LOL) he is actually age 7

1881 Grosvenoe road Aston
William Gem 51
Hannah 41
William Brain 17
john Gem 17
George Gem 11
Arthur Gem 10
Albert Gem 9
Ellen Gem 7
Walter Gem 4 says all born birmingham (not correct)

Next door to your William in Rocky Lane in 1891
William Gem
Hannah gem
George
Arthur
Ellen
Walter.
the census states Willian, Hannah, George and Arthur born Rowington the rest in birmingham.

Last edited:
Great.. The only thing that has threw me is William brain as his marriage record in 1886 shows dad deceased and hes abachelor.Which is probably why in 18 71 he is living with the Gems...many thanks very very interesting..The plot thickens

hi debmary, yes he is living with the Gems in 1871 and 1881 William Gem his stepfather and his mother Hannah formerly Brain.

When she married William Gem in 1868 they both put their status as widowed, the only way you will verify Williams parentage is by his birth certificate but i think that Hannah was the widow of William Brain who died in 1865,
I have found a Brain family living in Halesowen in 1861
William age 26
Hannah 23 b Rowington
James 1 born Halesowen
Edwin Bonham 20 b Rowington.,boarder

I believe James may have died between 1861 -1871 possibly 1868 birmingham age 10.

Edwin Bonham had a sister Hannah born Rowington the same age as this Hannah Brain , the name is often spelt Boneham I found the marriage
of Hannah Boneham to William Brain in Warwick 1858

Hannah Gem formerly Brain nee Boneham died in 1891.

Last edited:
I think we may get related my grandad was george albert brain we have just found out his father was William Brain married to lilian who's grave we found last week in Witton cemetery.

We have now found William and Elizabeth brains grave in Witton cemetery not far from my grandad George Albert brain who is Williams grandson.. we would love to find out about any relatives related to William and Elizabeth brain or William and Lilian brain as we know absolutely nothing about grandads family.

Back