• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

Agreed, nice to turn the scam onto them for once, free taxi ride in this case but it just highlights some of the dodges these people get up to, getting more and more sophisticated. Got to have your wits about you at all times.
  2. S

Another scam i was reading about the other day where some unsuspecting person had their bank account emptied as follows, The police say someone had their bank accounts emptied after they paid a taxi driver with a debit card. The passenger had wanted to pay with their credit card, but the taxi...
  3. S

School Dinners

Spam fritters god they were awful, also another horror for me was corned beef fritters, maybe how the cook done them but they were like a sponge full of grease horrible things, i think most kids didnt eat them, another dinner i disliked was pilchards with salad like an overgrown sardine still...
  4. S

Had an e mail about a week ago and apparently my TV Licence has expired, they told me the bank had declined the direct debit, and i had to click on the link provided to up date my information, if i didnt do this within 7 days my information would be passed onto a debt collection agency. So...
  5. S

Oxygen Street, Aston

Hi Lyn doing a bit of research to see if i could pin a date down for the photo, however looking at the photo most houses where empty which kind of fits in with with the 1921 census when only houses 7 8 9 & 10 are showing as occupied, but then there is no Oxygen Street listed in 1939 so i assume...
  6. S

Oxygen Street, Aston

Hi Lyn looks like MWS might has answered the numbering as for 9 Oxygen street on the 1881 census see below, Patrick Rook Head Married Male 60 1821 Shoe maker Cork, Cork, Ireland Mary Rook Wife Married Female 60 1821 None Cork, Cork, Ireland Transcript of Mary's record First...
  7. S

sayings

Yes you are probably correct never thought about it, just remember mom saying it, and those shoes were the forerunner of Crocs of today wasnt they called jelly shoes. Also remember boys used to throw a half ender. Half a house brick.
  8. S

sayings

Remember my mom used to say when us kids came in from playing "you look manky" get yourself cleaned up, this was usually teatime and you came home starved after being out all day, something to eat then out again until dark. And when playing someone say whos got the pill (meaning ball) not sure...
  9. S

sayings

Another one thats just come to mind, my uncle would say your nans gone to bed she came home KAYLIED.
  10. S

sayings

Yes it must be a brummie saying as my nan was born in Aston in about 1880 living in Oxygen Street then the family moved to Folliot Road Lea Hall for the rest of her life and as far as i know didnt live anywhere else.
  11. S

sayings

Agreed but as i remember my nan used to like a tipple or three in the Lea Hall Tavern so i suppose on another day it could have been go suck your apple, ha ha happy days.
  12. S

sayings

Ha Ha you are probably right memory not so good now a days, after all that was about 60 years ago, lemon it is.
  13. S

Stechford - The Village

My dad used to work as a driver for a chap called Gordon Waldron who used to own a green grocers shop on Station Road it was called Loves of Stechford, as well as selling fruit and veg at Stechford he used to supply school kitchens and works canteens and hotels with fruit and veg, after a few...
  14. S

sayings

I remember as a child if you fell over you would " SCRAGE" (graze) your knee and you went into the house crying and my nan used to say "GO SUCK YOUR ORANGE" not sure if that was a saying or it was something she made up, has anyone else heard of it.
  15. S

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

Not strictly childrens television, but i remember being off school for a couple of weeks with some childhood ailment, measles or mumps or something and to keep me quiet my mom used to put the tv on and at the time bbc were showing trade test transmission films for going over to colour tv, these...
  16. S

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

Long long time ago i can remember a programme called Mr Pastry, dont remember anything about it just too long ago, as for my kids growing up probably their favourites were Wacky Races with Dastardly and Muttley and also Rainbow with Geoffrey and Rod Jane and Freddy, the favourite character was...
  17. S

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

Also not forgetting Skippy the bush kangeroo and Top Cat
  18. S

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

A few programmes i remember was Robinson Crusoe, if i remember correctly i think i read Robinson Crusoe was filmed in Gran Canaria, then there was Herges adventures of TinTin, another favourite, and the Forest Rangers
  19. S

Church Road, Yardley.

Just to add a bit more fact Edward Stenson was married to a lady called Barbara and Len Stenson was married to Florence always known as Floss they all lived at 53 Church Road and Barbara had twins and named them Leon and Lester, just thought it might jog someones memory. Before moving to Church...
  20. S

sayings

Raining cats and dogs, Black over Bills Mothers, As long as Livery Street.
Back