• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Thomas Bland & Sons The Gunmakers

Indeed! THOMAS THOMAS THOMAS THOMAS Have you ever been to this paart of the world. I have been to Britain 3 times (I have a son who lives in London who will never return). I think on the train to Edinburgh I could see Birmingham? I've done that trip twice, my daughter was living in...
  2. B

Thanks Janice, I had just googled and found Harborne. But hadn't realised the abbreviation for Staffordshire. The Bland's way back came from Yorkshire, there is a town called Bland. Well there are Blands in that area and when I looked at the meaning of the name that is what it came up with...
  3. B

Thomas Bland was born in 1822 in Birmingham. He was almost certainly the son of James Bland (born about 1790-1800) and nephew of Edwin Bland (b.1796); Edwin appears to have been James' younger brother. That was on a website about the gunmakers - I have never thought it was correct. And the...
  4. B

I am keen to have it right of course so it is not causing a 'problem' Thanks for the latest detail you have up-loaded. I shall go back to Family Search which is where I got some of the Probert stuff I think. cheers Bronwen
  5. B

Hi Janice This is great. I shall print them out and update my tree. The most 'disturbing' .... is that I had Sarah Jane Probert as being the daughter of John Probert not James. See my 1851 census attached. I will need to look at this more carefully as I have quite a bit of information on...
  6. B

Edwin and Sarah had sons called James, Thomas and Edwin. (yes I do have them all listed) Interestingly there is a baptism for a James Bland born 1893 (baptism 10 May) son of Thomas and Mary. (second line on attachment). Seems unlikely - well not unlikely probably fits in somewhere! James, the...
  7. B

I need to find the date of death for this Thomas to see whether the marriage you found is my Hannah? Thomas Bland husband of Hannah Smith b.1742 Jan 7 Moor St Unitarian New Meeting House, Birmingham, Eng. m.1763? 1st marriage m.1767 Mar 1 Hannah Smith, St Peter, Harborne, Birmingham, Hannah...
  8. B

Sorry I hadn't seen that - too many Thomas'. I have fixed. Indeed it could be a second marriage then. thanks Bronwen
  9. B

Hi Janice I have lookled at the two items you sent me and the Hannah re-marrying I am sure is not her. I think I did have Thomas Bland's death correct but appreciate the register copy. cheers Bronwen Thomas Bland husband of Hannah Smith b.1742 Jan 7 Moor St Unitarian New Meeting House...
  10. B

Good morning Janice Tango is the toughest thing I have ever ever learnt! I have spent the morning going through all of the notes I have and tried to make it add up. It doesn't but it would be good if you could print it out and have a look. I wonder whether I have two families mixed up? It...
  11. B

Thanks for all of this it's great - just off to Tango for the evening Regards Bronwen
  12. B

I would love to find the marriage of this couple, and of course her surname and any other details about either of them- I have simply 1740 because that is when the first child that I can ascertain was born. Many thanks for looking at this for me. Regards Bronwen 1720? BLAND Thomas Bland...
  13. B

Thanks Janice. I currently have a subscription to Genes Reunited for a year which I don't thin k is much good. Perhaps ancestry next, I have trialed for free before. I am having some paid research done in Scotland at the moment another part of my tree. I am pretty sure they were anglicans -...
  14. B

Yes in the pieces I have cleaned it talks about those 3 addresses and them moving to London to open up there. It talks about the various guns that they invented. They still exist but in U.S.
  15. B

Yes it was that site. I didn't understand that no church burials are listed however. Where can I find them? There were lots of Blands on that site but none that seemed to add up to who I am looking at. Thanks Bronwen
  16. B

Yes I had read up about it and knew the earliest record was 1862. Interestingly when I searched for deaths on the site that has all the stuff about the various cemeteries I couldn't find any of these people's burials.
  17. B

Yes that is what I had. I thought that also - but none of it seems to add up. All the relations are in my first post. 1767 Sept 30 Thomas Blank, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. 1769 Sep 29 James Gland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. and this lot 1793 May 10 James Bland, St Philips, Birmingham, Eng...
  18. B

Hi I have got quite confused by reading up about the gunmaker family on a site. It says 'Thomas Bland born in 1822 and his younger brother Edwin started the firm in about 1840. ' However this is the information I have of that family and the dates and names don't quite stand up. Thomas would...
  19. B

Witton Cemetery - Register Meaning

Many thanks to you all especially for the photos. I will email them just to check. But I am surprised 9 shillings was paid over.I had looked on-line and had seen the motorway was right there. thanks Bronwen, Christchurch, NZ
  20. B

Witton Cemetery - Register Meaning

Can anyone advise what this means: Grave 'common' I expect it means that she is buried with many others and their is no marker perhaps? Harriet Probert d.1883 Jan 13 Witton Cemetery, 17 Moor Lane, Witton, Birmimgham, Warwickshire, Eng. aged 66, living in Ravenhurst St, Holy Trinity Parish...
Back