• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Fabulous to see this puzzle solved! Well done, and great to see all the information about the individuals concerned, too. I wonder why so many of the men seem to have identified with denominations other than Congregationalists. I could understand more if they were all from other Free...
  2. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Sorry - omitted 1913 map.
  3. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Yes, that's the one. There's a clearer image (entitled Church of Christ on Moseley Road) on https://www.search.birminghamimages.org.uk/search.aspx . And its footprint shows up clearly on the 1913 Town Plan of Birmingham. (Right, better get on with some other work now, though this is more fun!)
  4. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

This may be irrelevant now that the origin of the plaque may be about to be unveiled (interesting! ), but I think the church that you are referrring to as demolished, Viv, is the Anglican church of Christ Church, Sparkbrook. Church of Christ, Moseley Road, was United Reformed. Awaiting the answer!
  5. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

I wonder if we could track down any former members of the congregation of the Church of Christ, Moseley Road, which closed in 1980 when the (United Reformed) congregation there moved to the new St Paul’s church centre on Edward Road to join with the Anglicans? It’s the building I mentioned in...
  6. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Thank you! That's a wonderful picture. I hope our ancestor didn't spend *too* much time there, though! He had a wife and kids to look after.
  7. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Just a couple of thoughts (wild stabs in the dark really)... These are two buildings in the area which I remember as having a lot of work done on them in the last 8 or so years: the building next to the Baths, which is labelled as a church in the 1910 map, and the New Inn. Here are the google...
  8. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Yes, please, Lyn. That would be most appreciated. Thanks.
  9. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

My husband's great-grandfather, John Fry, was a neighbour of Harry Boucher (both lived on Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath) when the 1911 census was taken. Looking through his enlistment documents just now I see that he (Fry) listed his 'official club' as The Flower Pot pub on Arter Street. I'm...
  10. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

I'm finding this thread intriguing. Hope we can solve the mystery eventually. As Radiorails suggests for the Scouts, I think the Boys Brigade would have used their own Anchor emblem on their memorial. Certainly, they did for other Birmingham BB memorials:
  11. mrsfry

Memorial found in a skip

Just a brief contribution re the quotation, which is from the popular American Civil War song, The Battle Hymn of the Republic. While not conventionally sung in British churches, it gained popularity with British troops in WWI. To me, this points to a club rather than a church (although I have...
  12. mrsfry

Highgate Street, Hick Street looking for old friends

Hi John, That's really interesting; thanks for posting the info. I've just emailed you, so hope you get that OK. I have been through the area where Hick Street used to be many times on the number 50 bus and never had any idea until recently!
  13. mrsfry

Highgate Street, Hick Street looking for old friends

Hi there. What a coincidence! I just came onto the forum to see if I could found out more information about John Fry (my husband's g-grandfather), who lived at Hick Street with his family until shortly before his death in 1922, and saw your post, johnfry (Hi!). It's really interesting to hear...
Back