• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Old street pics..

Hi Bernie, thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it. It is always nice to hear that. By the way, I'm looking at the Birmingham Riots this week leading up to their anniversary on 14th July- if you haven't already seen, you can look here https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Joseph...
  2. C

Old street pics..

Does anyone know what the nearest building is? It looks very imposing. I was wondering if it was a manufactory rather than a residential premises?
  3. C

Georgian & Regency Birmingham

I PREDICT A RIOT Just a little more than 200 years ago the Priestley Riots or 'Church and King' Riots were brewing in Birmingham, venting fear and anger towards the political and religious views of many of the religious Dissenters. Leading up to the riots, that began July 14th, I have been...
  4. C

Witton and Perry Barr: Tamed Project

You can now take a look at the blog and at the project on twitter... Twitter: https://twitter.com/tamedproject Blog: https://tamedproject.blogspot.co.uk
  5. C

Onion Fair

I am researching the fair for a project in Witton, is anyone able to add the photographs and images that have been lost back to the site? It would be so lovely to see them.
  6. C

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

I contacted Carl Chinn today and he mentioned the show, I will have to listen.
  7. C

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/zip-fasteners This wonderful 1950s film (link above) describes how the 'lightning zip fasteners' were produced and tested in Witton, a real novelty of the day. If only skirts still could be transformed into capes! Why didn't that catch on?!? It's a really...
  8. C

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/zip-fasteners This wonderful 1950s film (link above) describes how the 'lightning zip fasteners' were produced and tested in Witton, a real novelty of the day. If only skirts still could be transformed into capes! Why didn't that catch on?!? Does anyone...
  9. C

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=994&highlight=canterbury+road I have been looking at these amazing memories of Canterbury Road Infant School, starting with Di's vivid description. Some of the teachers sound formidable! I am hoping to go into some of the local schools, so...
  10. C

Hi Ray, the person who sent me the image thinks that they are mistaken, and it is not actually the Witton factory in the image, even though the frontage is the same. Thank you for your comment otherwise I might not have delved further- I will remove it. Can you tell me about how you remember it...
  11. C

I think it was the 1920s, but I will double check. Any chance you could write any memories down Ray? There are some ideas in post #12...I would really appreciate it. And anyone else with memories and experiences of the area, I am really looking forward to building up a picture, please keep them...
  12. C

Thank you for all this information, the Magnet Club seems like a real hub of the area. Keith Berry's photographs are amazing, I am sorry that he had died. I will delve into the club, I'm sure it has a many gems to uncover. Magnet Club thread...
  13. C

This will be great, I am going to arrange to pop down to Tufnol's, I have been told that they have an archive for the business, and I will take a look at the picture then. I noticed the painting on the thread you pointed me at, and thought that it was brilliant, really brings things to life. I...
  14. C

Thank you oldMohawk, I will have a good look at that thread. Josie, do you think that your husband might be able to write something up for me, something that particularly stands out for him, using the ideas in post #12? I would be so grateful. And I would love to hear about the Christmas...
  15. C

As promised, I have written up about what we are looking for...... We would like to hear about your experiences of growing up, living and working in Witton and Perry Barr. HERE: NOW AND THEN (OUR EXPERIENCE OF PLACE) There has been a great surge of oral history taking over recent years...
  16. C

Hi Nick, your memories would definitely be brilliant to find out, I have sent you a message. Hi Di, yes please! I would love to see them. I would also like to hear about your childhood in Witton if you feel you could share some information. I will write up a little about the sort of things we...
  17. C

GEC WITTON WORKS

Picture removed as inaccurate
  18. C

The map shows the Witton area with Holdford Mill centre left. The mill was first mentioned in 1358, when it was used as a fulling mill in the cleaning of wool for the making of woolen fabrics. It was at this time that the River Tame was sluiced (gated to redirect the flow of water) and a...
  19. C

Witton Church - Which One

I am currently involved in a project called Tamed based in Witton and Perry Barry with the Environment Agency. From 2013 new flood defences will be built along the River Tame and artists and historians have been commissioned to get involved with the local communities, past and present, and...
Back