• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Birmingham newspapers

Hi all, Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but wondered if any of you could guide me how to search a specific historic edition of the Birmingham Mail from January 1910? Thank you in advance, Paul
  2. P

GPO Telecom Engineer training

At some point in the early 1950’s, my grandfather moved to Birmingham where he trained to become a telephone engineer with the General Post Office (later British Telecom), presumably putting to use the skills he learned as a Telegrapher in the Navy during WWII. Does anyone know where he'd have...
  3. P

West Bromwich Workhouse

Please could anyone tell me where the workhouse listed on my great grandmothers birth certicate was? Screenshots attached. Would it have been this one? https://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestBromwich/ There's not enough detail on the birth cert to confirm where the workhouse was. The family aren't...
  4. P

James Street, Aston / New Town

Hello, Can anyone tell me where James Street was in Aston or New Town as detailed the link below? I can't find it on modern mapping and wondered if it was lost during redelopment in the 1960's. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205198720 My great grandparents are listed as living...
  5. P

385 Brookvale Road, Erdington

Hello, does anyone know what was at 385 Brookvale Road, Erdington in December 1967 as my Great Gran died there and my mum thought she died in a Care Home? Thank you
  6. P

73 New Canal Street

While searching the electoral rolls for my great gran, I found record of a lady with the same name as her at 73 New Canal Street. Can anyone tell me what was at that address please? What strikes me as odd is that there were 20 or so names listed there and all the names were female. Lodging house...
  7. P

WW1 service record advice please

Hi, I'm trying to research my Great Grandfathers WW1 record but are stuck and need some advice please. We don't know much about him apart from his full name, year of birth and his parents names. We think we know his place of birth and we think we have an address where he was living in...
Back