• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

73 New Canal Street

Paulo76

master brummie
While searching the electoral rolls for my great gran, I found record of a lady with the same name as her at 73 New Canal Street. Can anyone tell me what was at that address please? What strikes me as odd is that there were 20 or so names listed there and all the names were female. Lodging house perhaps?

Last edited:
hi paulo i think you will need to tell us the year please and your gt grans name...wild guess but the address could have been some sort of womens hostel or the likes

lyn

In 1900 it was a lodging house run by William Weston. No 72 was coffee rooms run by him

Thanks for your replies. My great gran was called Rose Pagett and she would've been about 50 in 1930. I've attached the electoral roll.
Rose is my most difficult relative to trace. I have her death certificate (which indicates she was born c1880) and the birth certificates of two of her three sons. Both were born in the Birmingham Workhouse in 1914 and 1918 out of wedlock, no named father. I've found a few Rose Pagetts on Ancestry who could be her but without knowing her father's name, I can't be certain. Interestingly, there's an inmate at the workhouse called Rose Pagett on the 1911 census which could well be her, I can't prove it though. Her occupation is given as laundress which also appears on one of her sons birth certs.

Attachments

• 73 New Canal St 1930.jpg
    73 New Canal St 1930.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 14
i would think if the age fits as does the occupation on one of her sons birth certs that is most likely is her in the workhouse in 1911 especially given the fact that she was there in 1914 and 1918 giving birth to her sons..think it would be a bit of a coinsidence to have two different rose pagetts there..i take it she never married?

lyn

mike the closest kellys ive got to 1930 which is when rose pagett was there is 1932..just checked it and there is no no 73 new canal st listed...could you re check that please..

No, that is right Lyn, though a William Weston is still next door at 72, but it was then a grocers. No 72 is not listed in 1921 either, so it looks as if William gave up using it as a lodging house, but possibly someone took it over and used it for some purpose. The map below
shows no 73 in red. The photo is of court 6, behind no 73. I would guess, but am not absolutely certain that the green area is the shed on the right of the photo, with the phot taken from theposition of the arrow. This would mean no 73 was immediately to the right of it, not immediately visable, but obviously part of a tall, possibly 5 story building, which would explain the ability to house so many. 6 court new%20canal%20street 1905.jpg map c 1889 showing no 73 new canal st.jpg

Hi Mike
looking at your map and given its the early years and the address some one was looking for seventy eight
and that was on new cannal street would you say if i am correct or not that banbury street would have been redeveloped
of the slums and renamed bordesley street as mmy grand parents coffee shop and bed and breakfast bussiness was on the corner of
new cannal street and that was listed as number 1 new cannal street this was in the fortys onwards
there used to be an old red fire stand with the little hammer inside the glass and you had to smash the glass to speak to some one
which was at the central fire station as every one knows where it was
also there was a little police box on the corner of Fazely street the next street along of new cannal street
for the police officier on the beat could be comuneicated to the police station
i wonder if the street furtiture was around by there in those days of our friends in the early years
as i recall these as early as the early 1940, still there in the 1950s
many thanks have a good day best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;;;;

No, that is right Lyn, though a William Weston is still next door at 72, but it was then a grocers. No 72 is not listed in 1921 either, so it looks as if William gave up using it as a lodging house, but possibly someone took it over and used it for some purpose. The map below
shows no 73 in red. The photo is of court 6, behind no 73. I would guess, but am not absolutely certain that the green area is the shed on the right of the photo, with the phot taken from theposition of the arrow. This would mean no 73 was immediately to the right of it, not immediately visable, but obviously part of a tall, possibly 5 story building, which would explain the ability to house so many. View attachment 111430 View attachment 111427

Wow that's really interesting thank you for that and for going to so much trouble.

i would think if the age fits as does the occupation on one of her sons birth certs that is most likely is her in the workhouse in 1911 especially given the fact that she was there in 1914 and 1918 giving birth to her sons..think it would be a bit of a coinsidence to have two different rose pagetts there..i take it she never married?

lyn

I think you're right. She "married" later in life and changed her surname but I can't find any record of the ceremony taking place. I'm starting to doubt she lived at New Canal St and she'd have had 16 and 12 year old sons but I suppose I can't rule it out.
My grandfather joined the army in 1935 and gives Rose as his next of kin living at 4/221 New John St West and 6 Washington St Ladywood but again, I can't find her on electoral rolls on Ancestry.

Back