• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. T

Canning & Co & Electroplating

Postie. Many thanks for the photo how did you get it i'm amazed, just a little before my time, but I ended up working for Reg Bleakman who told me that they had a great time fire watching but he used to fall asleep on a stretcher they had, so the lads who I do not know carried him outside and...
  2. T

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

Hi Lyn you may be interested in this photo it primarily shows the two shops attached to the gothic pub the cafe we called Bills and the Newsagent next door which i think became also a hairdresser's. Hope it is of interest Rgds Norman
  3. T

Attached photos from Canning 20 club meeting in1977 a little after your time I know but see who you recognise i'm the one standing up at back of table. Let me know sometime who you know I cannot remember quite a few Norman
  4. T

Pleasure, would the sales guy be Chris **** Norman
  5. T

You know this Alf Hickman you talk about was he the one that delivered the mail from A dept over in Head Office in those days. All mail was delivered to A Dept for the Canning Group. A was for Administration I think. Norman
  6. T

I remember your brother Roy Sheppard I started in the Drawing Office at Cannings in 1950. Roy wired the control panels etc for the automatic plating plants etc we manufactured I cannot remember the name of the person he worked for originally, but I think after Canning Engineering became a...
  7. T

Bob. I remember you by name but cannot put a face to the name. I started work at 15 years of age after leaving Handsworth Technical School Golds Hill Road with Canning’s on January 2 1950 in the drawing office the chief draughtsman was away sick Tom McKnight was standing in but shortly after...
  8. T

Hi Keith. Glad to see you again. I made a big mistake saying on a reply that Arthur Knight was in charge of publicity do you remember who was in charge in the fifties I think Robert Allen took over from him. The memory isnt what it used to be. Rgds Norman
  9. T

Thanks for downloading the 7th edition of the Canning Handbook, I still have a copy of the 23rd Edition which has a list of publish dates which shows the 7th edition was originally printed in 1918. I remember seeing the original of yours when I joined Cannings in 1950, in the Publicity...
  10. T

Bob. Nice to see you are still active. Barry Camelio left estimating and became a Materials Rep covering the Midlands. Do you have any contact with Materials people. Did you leave before engineering was split off and Colin Winsper came in as MD. Anyway take care and best regards Norman Thurston
  11. T

Phil Thank you for your reply, I in my post, I left out an important word, in Posties mail he said the previous owners the question I wanted to ask was who were the previous owners. If I am asking too delicate a question please tell me to mind my own business and I will understand, but I am...
  12. T

Phil. I am a very newbie to this forum, so please excuse any blunders I may make, but surely when I post to the forum there is only 2 things that can happen either the post is accepted or declined. Also mention of the owners of the forum is made, is it prudent to ask who the owners are. Rgds...
  13. T

Keith. See https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=45856&goto=newpost Rgds Norman
  14. T

Handsworth Technical School

Hello Anvil Man. Thanks for you post it brought back memories, I was at HTS from 1948-1950 and made the items shown in your photo we had more than one attempt at casting the anvil and stand sorry must have used all the aluminium. The only thing that remains is I have my last report dated 20 Dec...
  15. T

Keith. Thanks for answer but I have done what you say and thread is still not to be found it has been removed ? Rgds Norman
  16. T

Hi all I am in the same boat just joined the group and cannot find thread W Canning & Co. Does anyone know what happened to it. Many Thanks Norman.
Back