• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

john i dont even want to think about that..we nearly lost it in the 80s

lyn
Hi Lyn you may be interested in this photo it primarily shows the two shops attached to the gothic pub the cafe we called Bills and the Newsagent next door which i think became also a hairdresser's.
Hope it is of interest
Rgds Norman

Attachments

• Bill's Cafe.jpg
    Bill's Cafe.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 41
1-4 Great Hampton Street
Blending old and new in a prestigious gateway to the historic Jewellery Quarter

Today, 1-4 Hampton Street is a mixture of derelict buildings and Grade II listed buildings, including The Gothic Pub and former Quality Works factory. Our vision is to turn this into an inspirational blend of old and new, preserving the best features while adding new architectural elements to create an exciting new destination and gateway to the Jewellery Quarter. Currently in the design phase, our ambitious plans include restaurants, bars and live music venues on the ground floors and basement, with the upper floors dedicated to commercial space and residential accommodation.

1-4 Great Hampton Street
Blending old and new in a prestigious gateway to the historic Jewellery Quarter

Today, 1-4 Hampton Street is a mixture of derelict buildings and Grade II listed buildings, including The Gothic Pub and former Quality Works factory. Our vision is to turn this into an inspirational blend of old and new, preserving the best features while adding new architectural elements to create an exciting new destination and gateway to the Jewellery Quarter. Currently in the design phase, our ambitious plans include restaurants, bars and live music venues on the ground floors and basement, with the upper floors dedicated to commercial space and residential accommodation.

Do we know who the "our" refers to??

I have searched BCC planning application site, and i can only find one application made for The Gothic (see attached) and that was for something minor back in 1987 !!!gothic (2).jpg

many thanks for that photo TNT i am sure i had that one but cant seem to find it now so again thanks for posting it

brian thank you for that update..reading about what is planned for the gothic and quality house (and i am by no means a building expert)but i cant see how all the work planned will be able to go ahead without planning permissions...this is a very strange one

lyn

Last edited:
many thanks for that photo TNT i am sure i had that one but cant seem to find it now so again thanks for posting it

brian thank you for that update..reading about what is planned for the gothic and quality house (and i am by no means a building expert) i cant see how all the work planned will be able to go ahead without planning permissions...this is a very strange one

lyn
Please feel free to forward your concerns to Birmingham planning via their website. The more the merrier! Woken at 5am this morning as a skip was being filled outside the Gothic. Went to see site manager later who says it was done so as not to disrupt traffic and was a one off. He pointed me in direction of blackswan for the detail I have found but still can’t see any appropriate planning permission as yet.

bri do you have a date for pic 2 post 25 please...just look how lovely the building was then and i really hope that skip was not filled up with little treasures that could have been saved:(

lyn

That’s the developers mock-up of their proposals as is the other pic!

oops sorry bri i thought i had not seen that one...well if thats the way it may look thats fine with me..its the interior that is the worry now...wont be today as im a tad busy but i will be getting in touch with the appropriate people re planning permissions...thanks for all your efforts

lyn

Scene and seen (and heard by me!) 5am this morning!
oops sorry bri i thought i had not seen that one...well if thats the way it may look thats fine with me..its the interior that is the worry now...wont be today as im a tad busy but i will be getting in touch with the appropriate people re planning permissions...thanks for all your efforts

lyn
dont think there is much left inside anyway but still worth kicking up a stink to endure refurbishment is done by the rules.

I too have been in touch with Birmingham City Council Planning and regeneration, I attach a copy of their email, (Interesting to note it says "THEY ARE BUSY". Lets see if i get a further reply.

On reading through all of the email, it says it is illegal to share its contents, so i have removed it.

well work is certainly imminent then brian...scaff does not go up for nothing...thanks for the early morning shot

lyn

Back