• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Army Huts after WW2

There was also army huts on Lucas's sports ground at the junction of College Rd.and Kingstanding Rd.These were also taken over by "Squaters"as they were called.Just about every empty building in 1945 was quite rightly taken over and used by homeless people.It was too big an issue for the...
  2. P

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

Re: hare and hounds..kingstanding. Hi. Lyn & Vivienne. Thanks for pic of Ryan's P.O.Should have mentioned I Was thinking back to the late 1940s re.Ryan's P.O. and Ryan's Field.The kids used to refer to Mr.Ryan as "Old Ryan" and we used to buy swedes from him to make...
  3. P

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

Re: hare and hounds..kingstanding. Hi. chrishillcox. One of the cottages to the left of the Hare and Hounds was "Ryan's Post Office" (Kingstanding Rd.P.O.) Ryan as he was known used to run about in an old three wheel van, it had single wheel at front and was powered by...
  4. P

Birmingham 1935

Hi Brumgum Great find. I Was born in 1935 buit didn't realise how ancient I was till I saw the footage you posted. As anyone got any ideas why the flags and bunting was being flown.
  5. P

bridge st west

mikejee Thanks for helping me to get my correct address of fifty years ago sorted out and also thanks to Astoness for excellent pics. of BSW. Pembroke
  6. P

bridge st west

Hi mike Sorry to bother you again.It was in my mind as Richmond Place but thought my memory was playing up a bit when you said you could on only find Richmond Terrace.Have,however come across photos taken of the "nippers"in 1961 and photos are noted as being taken outside 10,Richmond...
  7. P

bridge st west

mike Thanks for info and correction,it would have been Richmond Terrace and not Place.There were two rows of houses running at right angles off BSW.and I lived in No.10 the last but one on the right hand side.There was also two houses at the top facing down towards BSW.Even allowing for...
  8. P

bridge st west

Hi mike I lived in Richmond Place,(0pposite The Wellington pub) Bridge St.West in 1960-61.Can't remember the house numbers in B.S.W.that Richmond Place was behind.Would be pleased if you could find time to consult your maps re.this matter for me...
  9. P

Farm Street Hockley

As you say,Wendy the bakery where my relation bought the "clandesine cakes" in Farm Street could well have been a continuation of your relations business. Thanks Pembroke
  10. P

Farm Street Hockley

As a lad in the late 1940s I helped a relation who was a roundsman for Price's Bakery.On a Friday afternoon he would,unofficially,pick up a couple of dozen large fruit cakes from a bakers in Farm St.and sell them on his round on the Saturday.The bakery had a shop front and was on the north side...
  11. P

Kingstanding

Remember the library from the 1940s and can still recall the distinct aroma from the books (all the books were bound at that time) and the polished oak floor.There was an area of charred floor that had been caused by an incendiary bomb going through the roof.At that time kids could borrow one...
  12. P

Silly Rhymes.

Surprised the following one has not been posted yet.As kids in the 1940s we used to think it was quite risque.Well we did till we were six or seven Mary had a little lamb She also had a bear...
  13. P

Silly Rhymes.

Hi mariew and Fatfingers I think after two days the following has eventually forced its way through the mist of old age One two three mother caught a flea Put it in the teapot to make a cup of tea The flea jumped out Mother gave a shout and in...
  14. P

Silly Rhymes.

Hi mariew and Fatfingers Re.the "copper with his shirt hanging out" Seem to remember bits of the rhyme but not all.Perhaps the following might jog your memories though. A flea jumped in the teapot and made a cup of tea...
  15. P

Starting work at Fourteen

Was at Peckham Road school when the leaving age went up from fourteen to fifteen.The teacher of the class I was in reckoned the only difference it would make is that the writing on the toilet walls would be a bit higher.
  16. P

Lea Marston: Victoria Cross !

Sorry folks the link I put in for Ed Dixons site does not seem to be working as a link.If you google eddixonhome it will bring up site.Perhaps some thing simple I didn't do right Pembroke
  17. P

Lea Marston: Victoria Cross !

Ed Dixon who lives in Clackmannanshire,the county Cecil Kinross is erroneously listed as being born in by "Monuments To Courage" ",Register of the Victoria Cross" etc etc.has recently created his own "Web Site"which is more or less dedicated to the 1st W.W.In his site there is a most excellent...
  18. P

Icknield Street Alert!

Hi Astonian After all these years unable to remember names.Seem to recall one trainer being a bit under average height and a bit on the stocky side,he would have been in his 40s I guess.Another fellow who seemed to be involved with the training would have been in his 20s,he had...
  19. P

Icknield Street Alert!

Sorry on looking back at Photo of Mint etc.I realise it was"dib 44"who posted pic.My apologise. Regards Pembroke
  20. P

Icknield Street Alert!

Have just enjoyed reading through some of the "posts" re.Icknield St.Seeing Astonian's pic.of The Mint reminded me of the time in the late 1940s when a couple of mates and myself belonged to the boxing club there.We used to enter through a door at far end (on photo) and had to pass through the...
Back