• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corona Pop Tyseley

arthur smith

master brummie
pop bottling plant

wasn't there a corona bottling plant on kings road tyseley, or was it just a distribution depot?

There was a Corona pop plant in Kings Rd, Tyseley, they made the pop and filled the bottles, the building is now a bed & furniture warehouse, Corona left approx 10yrs? ago, i did hear that had to stop due to Health & Safety laws, the bottle stoppers could not be sterilised properly.

There was a Corona pop plant in Kings Rd, Tyseley, they made the pop and filled the bottles, the building is now a bed & furniture warehouse, Corona left approx 10yrs? ago, i did hear that had to stop due to Health & Safety laws, the bottle stoppers could not be sterilised properly.

I think the factory closed not long after Britvic bought Corona from Beecham products (Lucazade, Ribena ext.) Britvic only bought them to increase market share and soon closed most of it including the main plant in Brentford.
Originally it was Thomas & Evans, Porth and Corona was a brand name. They carried on using the porcelain swing stoppers on bottles until 1961 when Beecham took over and replaced all the bottles with crown caps and then aluminium screw tops and 'bubbles' on the necks.
Corona took over many other pop companies so the factory may well have originally housed another long forgotten company.

My first Saturday job was with Corona Pop in Tysley during 1969/1970. I went out on a lorry delivering bottles of pop door to door around Longbridge and Bartley Green. This was a paid job at a rate of two pounds ten shillings for a nine hour day. Back in that time when a pint of bitter was two shillings and large fifteen year olds were served in pubs, you could have a very good night out on this amount and still have enough left over for fish & chips on the way home. Other jobs at Corona were also available where gangs of youths went around sitting on crates on the backs of lorries (no H&S then!), trying to sell pop door to door and getting weekly orders, paid on commission. I started out this way before being promoted to a paid job riding in the cab. Great days really!

Wilmcote Breedon made the bulk of the door handles and other chromed items for the bulk of the British motor car industry, a major competitor during the 60s came in the shape of Fry from Wolverhampton, who I think andk as it is 60 years ago, took Ford away from them on both price and quality (Please correct me if I am wrong). W.Canning had a massive investment in plating eqpt etc in both.
Bob
Lengthy thread about Wilmot Breeden on the forum.
It was the same factory that made bicycles and prams, part shown in red on the map below

View attachment 175822
"Paint Works" was Permaglaze. "FruitDrink & Mineral Water" was Corona! both in James Rd

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I wondered if anyone following this thread remembers if corona sold beer in a bottle(the same size bottle as their pops)?.

Reason I ask is I've found an old corona bottle that I thought was a pop, but then I noticed the lid had a pop off type metal cap rather than a screw thread. I've searched on the Internet and wasn't able to answer my question and wondered if any older more knowledgeable brummies knew the answer, many thanks in advance.

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I wondered if anyone following this thread remembers if corona sold beer in a bottle(the same size bottle as their pops)?.

Reason I ask is I've found an old corona bottle that I thought was a pop, but then I noticed the lid had a pop off type metal cap rather than a screw thread. I've searched on the Internet and wasn't able to answer my question and wondered if any older more knowledgeable brummies knew the answer, many thanks in advance.
I've been round the block a few times and I've never heard that that Corona made beer . The Corona we see in pubs nowadays is made in Mexico I think .

I've been round the block a few times and I've never heard that that Corona made beer . The Corona we see in pubs nowadays is made in Mexico I think .
Agreed, I had never heard of it, had you ever heard of pop being made with a pop off top?, I would think that would defeat the whole point of keeping the fizziness in and the bottle would have to be drunk in one sitting. I will see if I can put an image up later this evening of the bottle, it's got me scratching my head.

Thanks for jumping in.

I dont think any beer bottles ever had that rough finish where , for a beer, a label would have been.

Brommas how can you tell it's a beer bottle ?
Hi, I can't tell it's a beer bottle, that is basically the question, I've never seen a pop bottle with that type of lid before, I have seen many many beer bottles(steralised milk also) with that exact style of lids, by far the most common are beer bottles in that style. I did have a friend suggest that it could be a pop and it may be, I've just never seen one that you don't have a screw lid, that was what I was essentially asking if anyone older than me had seen such a thing really or if there was a possibility it was a bet(for the reasons I stated).

looks like a regular corona pop bottle to me

lyn
Hi Lyn,

I will post an image of a regular corona pop in a few minutes, then look at the top of the neck and you will see a difference. I have just never seen a pop like that.

Last edited:
These are the ones I have seen from my childhood days in the 1970 era.

Link 1:- https://postimg.cc/18p0y0yJ

Link 2:- https://postimg.cc/0KMmFDtG

The type are a screw thread(these may not be Corona but same style as I remember), perhaps an older style lid on the 1st images I posted, I really don't know it just peequed my interest and wondered if anyone knew definitively.

Thanks for everyone that has jumped in.

Not to do with the original question, But, for completeness, at one time these were the bottles used by Corona, which seem to be offered for about £10 each on ebay. According to Wikipedia the original bottles were Codd bottles with a marble in the neck.

corona pop bottlex.jpg

Thank you for sharing, I hadn't seen those either in terms of Corona pop.

Hopefully, one day the dog will find me a cod bottle, fingers crossed!.

I remember the Lucozade bottles with their pimply surface around the neck (post #7). Did Corona make it then ? It was a part of recovery from illness with its glucose content. I liked the orange cellophane it was packaged in. Useful for future craft projects.

I loved the taste of Lucozade , I could drink it till the cows come home . Of course we've learnt nowadays that some of these high content drinks of different substances are not very good for us so that's my dream shattered

Thanks to Morturn too.

Looking back, it's funny to think that mum always produced a bottle of Lucozade when one of us was ill. It was basically fizzy, sweet/sour pop, with very little real nutritional value. (The power of advertising in action). When you drank it, you expected it to be very sweet, but it wasn't really too sweet at all, more of a sour, fizzy taste.

Great bottles though.

Last edited:
Thanks to Morturn too.

Looking back, it's funny to think that mum always produced a bottle of Lucozade when one of us was ill. It was basically fizzy, sweet/sour pop, with very little real nutritional value. (The power of advertising in action). When you drank it, you expected it to be very sweet, but it wasn't really too sweet at all, more of a sour, fizzy taste.

Great bottles though.
yes same here viv mom always got us it when we were poorly...i love it and have the odd treat of a bottle now and then

lyn

yes of course viv...the lucozade bottles had those bobbles and the the bottle was wrapped in orange cellophane we used to take the cellophane off and look through it and everything looked orange lol so i think it is an old luco bottle

View attachment 190307

lynView attachment 190308
Agreed, they're identical, the issue I was getting at was the top, those are screw caps as I would expect, the Corona bottle that I posted has one of those pressed on tops(like the steralised milk bottles), that is exactly what the me I've never seen that used on a pop bottle but it's definitely a corona bottle I actually have a 1950's lucozade bottle(smaller than the one you posted but very distinctive), again I'm not a collector, just have a dog that finds them all and researching the bottles is actually quite interesting on the old ones, hence my questions here.
This site is awesome and it's wonderful to see all of the differing opinions. The older bottles had much more character I.m.o.

Back