• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Did some more tidying n the garden ths morning- pending first garden bin collection tomorrow.
Signs of new growth everywhere.
Iris shoots appearing, honeysuckle already climbing well (new last year and did not do very well so I was pleased to see it growing) and buds on the acer
Hellebore (Christmas Rose) still going strong.

Attachments

• Iris shoots.jpg
    Iris shoots.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 7
  • honeysuckle.jpg
    honeysuckle.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 7
  • Acer buds.jpg
    Acer buds.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Christmas Rose.jpg
    Christmas Rose.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 7
Did some more tidying n the garden ths morning- pending first garden bin collection tomorrow.
Iris shoots appearing, honeysuckle already climbing well (new last year and did not do very well so I was pleased to see it growing) and buds on the acer
It is amazing to watch nature reawakening after a long winter!

smashing jan.spring is on its way now :)

the rooks are making there nests now in the rookery at the bottom of the garden collecting twigs (what a racket they make)its fascinating how they measure them before hand to see if it will fit.

The old saying goes like this:
'When in the trees the rooks build high, expect the summer to be warm and dry.'

the rooks are making there nests now in the rookery collecting twigs (what a racket they make)its fascinating how they measure them before hand to see if it will fit.

The old saying goes like this:
'When in the trees the rooks build high, expect the summer to be warm and dry.'
Haven’t heard that one before!

Hi Lyn
I would like some more pots with hooks like that but can't find any. That one was a present years ago.

Best wishes
Alison

Except for new queens, which hibernate during winter, bumble bee colonies die in late Autumn . Queens overwinter in small holes just beneath or on the ground's surface, emerging in spring to create new colonies they begin by laying eggs.
In winter, unlike other insects, honeybees don't go dormant. Instead, they stay awake all winter inside the hive, clustered together in a ball, eating honey, and shivering their flight muscles to generate heat.

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while, I've been studying for a maths exam, nothing really brainy though! I'm enjoying the bulbs in pots in my garden, I saved them from last year and re planted and they've come up!!!!!! I'm really pleased with them.

Just tidying and getting shut of the algae is my main priority atm. Thank goodness algae washes off, it just looks so grim.

Great to see you are all posting pics etc.

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while, I've been studying for a maths exam, nothing really brainy though! I'm enjoying the bulbs in pots in my garden, I saved them from last year and re planted and they've come up!!!!!! I'm really pleased with them.

Just tidying and getting shut of the algae is my main priority atm. Thank goodness algae washes off, it just looks so grim.

yes time to get the jet wash out and have a clean up best of luck in your exams kat:)

Be careful with all of that studying, you may get too smart for us and then you never know :). I hope the exam went well for you!

The Woody was determined to feed this morning. I was within twelve feet, or so, of it, and it was not bothered at all.

The feeders were mobbed by Sparrows and Starlings, as per usual, but the Woody turned up, along with a Jackdaw.

Steve.
what a great photo Steve well done

1710705095090.jpeg
Not exactly in the garden but close............I was cleaning up our smoker and was looking at pictures and found this one. The last smoking we did in the fall (autumn) were these two pork shoulders. About 8 to 9 pounds each, they took 13 hours to cook. When they were ready the shoulder bone pulled out clean. The pork is/was delicious! We shred (pull) the pork and my wife packages what we do not consume immediately in plastic bags and freezes it for another day. It really freezes well. We have two more of these in our freezer that we might smoke next weekend!

Back