• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trying to find Berry Mound

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of our house in Swanshurst Lane but am enquiring of other members of the family so hope I will find some! Looking back at Ernest Stanbury I found that on 1871 census he was living with his father, was aged 17 and the address was Sare Hole, Yardley, Solihull, Worcestershire. When he married May Welsford in December 1895 he was Ernest Justice Stanbury Eardley aged 41, Counsel in the law and his residence was Berry Mound, Shirley. He gave same address on Electoral rolls 1898, 1903 and 1905. So he obviously had a strong interest in the story of Berry Mound! From the 1903/5 electoral rolls he had an interest in Low Brook farm with 70 acres. On the 1898 Electoral Register he was living at Berry Mound, near Shirley and had an interest in freehold houses and land in Knighton, near Avon Dassett. I don't know where the Eardley came from yet but am enjoying finding out about this rather interesting character. My family name on my father's side was Bloxham and there are a few of these around Burton Dassett villages including three on the same page of the electoral register as Ernest! Small world. So much quicker these days with the Internet, when I started it was a lot of visits to Birmingham library!

Good luck, Sue! Ernest Stanbury-Eardley must have had a robust physical constitution to live in the ruined farmhouse. The Evening Dispatch Thursday Feb 1 1907 carries an obituary. The conclusion touches on what must be Swanshurst Farm. Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 20.58.38.jpeg

Just to show the two houses - his Father lived at Springfield in Springfield Road. The two roafds are on opposite sides of Wake Green Road.
1686409928450.png

Stanbury Eardley lived in Peterbrook Road Solihull Lodge, from his window he would have great view of the Iron Age hill fort Berry/Bury Mound/Mount. I read that he bought Swanshurst Farm with a view to rebuilding it, naming it Berry Mound. I do have a photo of his house in Peterbrook Road that I'll post later when I find it.

The orange dot shows the location of Eardley's "castle" on Perterbrook Road with view to the south west of Berry Mound. Warren House just up the hill was home to solicitors Chattell

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 15.05.37.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 15.05.37.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 12
I like the mock tower and battlements! Do you know the name of this house? I'm assuming it no longer looks like this. No wonder Eardley was eccentric! Derek
The census gives his address as Berry Mound,Shirley my guess thats what he called it. Berry Mound Farm was just the other side of the Millpool which I’ll post about another day

Back