• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

computer help

That would be a red flag for me. WiFi password yes, that is how books 'get into' the kindle. Amazon password to register the new kindle to your account. Other kindle settings such as text size are local to the device and do not need internet access. We have 3 kindles here, and they get the wifi password and amazon registration, nothing else. MS password, no. (Unless you mean your M&S password ;)).
Andrew.
Andrew, I have recently been looking in a Kindle. Specifically the paper white with 16GB. Are “no adds and Amazon books “ is that a good configuration?
Thanks,

Andrew, I have recently been looking in a Kindle. Specifically the paper white with 16GB. Are “no adds and Amazon books “ is that a good configuration?
Thanks,
Richard, all ours are the no adds configuration, for which you pay a higher basic price. A couple of people I know bought the minimum price version, and they tell. me that the adds are only on the start up screen, and don't get inserted into the books. Ours show a generic start up screen. However, with the current drive to extract funds, for example amazon prime wanting a monthly extra subscription to watch ad free prime videos am not sure how long the kindle model will last. I would still go for the ad free kindle price though, as that may evolve into only start up ads, and the lower price may change to ads between pages.
With regard to the memory, all the books you choose remain in your library at amazon and can be (re)downloaded at any time. The kindle memory relates to how many you can hold on the device, so a long trip without wifi access will benefit from more memory.
Keep an eye on the price of kindle books, I see dynamic prices at play. When Julie finds a book (at 99p) and enjoys the author, a search for that particular author shows that all his/her other books cost 1-99 to 3-99.
Andrew.

Never liked the idea where you buy something, but then the content can be deleted, or altered without permission. I know it is cheaper, but would never buy a book in this way if I was likely to ever want to read it again

Richard, all ours are the no adds configuration, for which you pay a higher basic price. A couple of people I know bought the minimum price version, and they tell. me that the adds are only on the start up screen, and don't get inserted into the books. Ours show a generic start up screen. However, with the current drive to extract funds, for example amazon prime wanting a monthly extra subscription to watch ad free prime videos am not sure how long the kindle model will last. I would still go for the ad free kindle price though, as that may evolve into only start up ads, and the lower price may change to ads between pages.
With regard to the memory, all the books you choose remain in your library at amazon and can be (re)downloaded at any time. The kindle memory relates to how many you can hold on the device, so a long trip without wifi access will benefit from more memory.
Keep an eye on the price of kindle books, I see dynamic prices at play. When Julie finds a book (at 99p) and enjoys the author, a search for that particular author shows that all his/her other books cost 1-99 to 3-99.
Andrew.
Thank you, that is very helpful! Based on the capacity of the 16GB version, that should be sufficient? Regarding Amazon (who I love to hate), when we first got Amazon Prime a few years ago it was $100 per year, free shipping no adds. Now it’s $156.00 per year with adds. Will keep you posted!

Well, I get excellent deliveries and service from Amazon Being somewhat housebound and not having a choice of shops locally (charity shops and supermarket style) they are a regular supplier. Delivery times are excellent and I have never subscribed to Prime. But I have been a customer since 2006.

Well, I get excellent deliveries and service from Amazon Being somewhat housebound and not having a choice of shops locally (charity shops and supermarket style) they are a regular supplier. Delivery times are excellent and I have never subscribed to Prime. But I have been a customer since 2006.
Same here Alan. Deliveries are very good, we have been members since about 2010 and for the most part been very much satisfied.

I live in a sheltered housing block. One of the residents buys stuff from amazon on a regular basis but they leave the packages just inside the door to the block rather than take it up to her flat on the second floor.

I live in a sheltered housing block. One of the residents buys stuff from amazon on a regular basis but they leave the packages just inside the door to the block rather than take it up to her flat on the second floor.
My nephew drives for one of these companies the targets they have for daily deliveries makes it impossible to even stop and say hello to the recipients.

My nephew drives for one of these companies the targets they have for daily deliveries makes it impossible to even stop and say hello to the recipients.
Yes, I think those days are over! My grandson just graduated from University (a year early, maximum honors) and is starting with Amazon on the supply chain side. He will do post graduate work with them. He said all of their performance metrics are unbelievably difficult. They pay well but you really work very hard for it,

Could anyone help please?

I have a number of Microsoft updates on my laptop as follows.

Microsoft 365-de-de, Microsoft 365-en-us, Microsoft 365-fr-fr, Microsoft 365-it-it and Microsoft 365-nl-nl.

Do i really need all of these or can i safely delete them?

many thanks...

Could anyone help please?

I have a number of Microsoft updates on my laptop as follows.

Microsoft 365-de-de, Microsoft 365-en-us, Microsoft 365-fr-fr, Microsoft 365-it-it and Microsoft 365-nl-nl.

Do i really need all of these or can i safely delete them?

many thanks...
Ann, you can certainly delete them and go on the same as usual. Personally, I use all updates. Many of them are to provide "fixes" as well as performance improvers. I do this for Microsoft & Apple on my computers, iPad and phone. My experience particularly with Apple is that sometimes the updates are not that good, and you get another update to fix the previous one.
Others might have a different approach, but so far so good! The update is not like going from Windows 95 to 365, it's just a slightly changed version of what you are using.

I hope that helps!

Not seeing it at the moment I'm afraid Smudger - If you go back into your Youtube channel - go to "manage videos" and change the videos setting from "private" to "public" it should start working - You shouldn't need to post the link again. It should just start working.
Hi Dinger. Went into manage videos, couldn`t find anywhere to change from private to public?

Back