• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

All Saints Church Winson Green

celia

master brummie
im not sure if this thread has been done before if so i aplogise in advance

my dad and his first wife were married at all saints church winson green christmas 1954
now ive looked on the web cant seem to find it and ive looked on google maps but i still carnt seem to find it

dose anybody have any information and or pics of all saints church

i have this funny idea it might not be standing anymore

regards
celia

Celia
Here is a picture from 1973. the church was consecrated in 1833, designed by Rickman & Hutchinson. by the 1950s it was in poor condition with low attendance and was closed and demolished some years later
mike

Have reposted the lost photo, and also the other outside view posted on thread at #5

All_sainr_winsongreen~1.jpg

AllSaintswinsongreen_2~0.jpg

Hiya Celia
The church was attached to All Saints School and we used to be marched over from the school for the services..it was a lovely old building.. It stood on All Saints Road..part of the school is still there..Also there is a few bits and a few pics of it on Ted Rudge's site winsongreentobrookfields

Celia I visited last year and the old school is now turned into a community type centre for wayward boys and girls. The playground at the back of where the church used to be is now opening up and looks awful. When speaking to the people who run this centre, they were not even aware that a church had been there and wondered whether the eruptions in the playground were perhaps tunnels or crypts that has been under the church. My friends sister got married there also in about 1956.

If you bear with me Celia, I have a photograph of the interior somewhere on a disk. Finding the disk might be a long job, but it's now on my list.

Shortie

thankyou to everybody who has replied to this thread
i did have a funny idea that the church might be demolished
such a shame it would have been nice to see where my dad got married first time round lol

thankyou mikejee for posing the pic it really dose look a wonderful church
it must have been demolished sometime after 1953

shortie if you manage to find the pic i would love to see it

Celia, Photos found! Took a while because I have so many disks. All Saints Church, another external one (note the cute cars!) and one of the interior.

Shortie

shortie
thankyou so much for finding the pics and sharing them
i looked like it was a very grand church

once again thankyou for for sharing
celia

Thanks for the memories. We used to have to go over once a week from the school. Especially memorable was Harvest Festival. We didnt have a lot, but everyone took something.

The school used to put it's Nativity plays on over the church, one year the star was a donkey which was kept in the cloak room.

i remember when we had the donkey ..the newspaper people took pictures in the church ..must have been the Evening mail

I went to All Saints School, the school building is still there used by A.S.B.O. kids, but the church was demolished many years ago now, although the is still empty nothing was ever built on it. The location is All Saints Road right near to the railway bridge, and Lodge Road.

Ernest - I would be surprised if they ever built on the land - there is a burial ground there! No headstones, and it looks desolate, I have to agree, but you cannot just build where there are human remains. No-one, obviously, has requested that the ground be cleared. I believe the church was demolished in 1970/71 - more is the pity.

Everyone else who commented on the photos - I'm pleased to have been of assistance! My own grandparents married at All Saints, and it's nice to see the interior, it's quite special to me to be able to do that.

Shortie

Shortie

Just working on the record for the WWI War Memorial on the IWM WMR.

All the people are described as "A.S.Y.A. Members", anyone know what A.S.Y.A. was or is?

I can only see a couple of churches on Winson Green Road on 25" maps

A Congregational Chapel on the corner of Villiers Road SP 04184 88375 - now a car park for the prison there.
St Cuthbert's Church at SP 04288 87820 now a Bengali Centre and building does not look like the picture above.

I can only see a couple of churches on Winson Green Road on 25" maps

A Congregational Chapel on the corner of Villiers Road SP 04184 88375 - now a car park for the prison there.
St Cuthbert's Church at SP 04288 87820 now a Bengali Centre and building does not look like the picture above.

Found it

Boys' Brigade & Girls Association - Anchor and Junior Sections​

This is,the report, I was going to correct the BNA transcription but they have done so badly that it is quicker to just transcribe myself.

Birmingham Mail - Saturday 25 September 1920
null
HOCKLEY WAR MEMORIAL
ALL SAINTS’ CHANCEL DEDICATED BY BISHOP.
A chancel screen erected in All Saints’ Church at Hockley by members of the congregation as a memorial to those who worshipped there and gave their lives in the Great War, and whose names are recorded thereon, was dedicated by the Bishop of Birmingham this afternoon.
The cost of the central portion was defrayed by the members of the All Saints' Youths' Association in honour of their founder and leader, the Rev. W. H. Kay, M.A., M.C., a curate, of the church, and son of Mr Henry Kay, the headmaster of the Church schools, who was killed in action on April 5, 1918. The screen forms part of a scheme of memorial to those in the parish who fell in the war, the remaining portion being the erection of a memorial hall on land belonging to the church in Paxton Road, towards which £1,000 has already been subscribed.
The service was conducted by the rector, the Rev. W. Heston Renshaw.

Celia, Photos found! Took a while because I have so many disks. All Saints Church, another external one (note the cute cars!) and one of the interior.

Shortie
Is it possible to re-post the interior photos? They appear to be missing from the thread.

Celia I visited last year and the old school is now turned into a community type centre for wayward boys and girls. The playground at the back of where the church used to be is now opening up and looks awful. When speaking to the people who run this centre, they were not even aware that a church had been there and wondered whether the eruptions in the playground were perhaps tunnels or crypts that has been under the church. My friends sister got married there also in about 1956.
Sad update: school building was demolished in 2015.

Last edited:
May I ask the source of map? Thanks.

This map is from a site which is now closed. Before it did so a few forum members were able to scan some of the map sheets for Bham.

There is another site which will eventually have all these detailed maps available but they are in the process and haven't got to Bham yet.

Shortie does not seem to have visited the site for 3 years. You could try sending a personal message via the conversation process (envelope symbol on top right hand of page

Back