• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Qu.Be

Heróiam sláva
From the pamphlet Marks, J. (2001). Handsworth on old picture postcards. Reflections of a Bygone Age.

'35. An unidentified group outside a branch of Birmingham Municipal Bank at 206 Rookery Road, Boards, held by some of the group proclaim "Arbitration. Brotherhood, Co-operation and Dsiarmanament."'

[Signs possibly reading INITIATE and FAMILY ENROLMENT are also visible]

Can anybody suggest what the main banner says and who the group are?

The original image isn't high definition, but I've run the thing through various filter processes and the name HANDSWORTH is my suggestion for the top like of the main banner.
My guess for the first two words of the next line is 'Labour Party'.
At the bottom of the banner is what I take to be a stylised galleon under sail.

If my guess is correct, then perhaps posing next to the Co-operative Society is reasonable, but I'm not sure if the Municipal Bank would have been as accepting.

Attachments

• RRMB_0.03_07.jpg
    RRMB_0.03_07.jpg
    979.9 KB · Views: 37
  • RRMB_0.03_08.jpg
    RRMB_0.03_08.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 43
  • RRMB_0.02_09 montage.jpg
    RRMB_0.02_09 montage.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 30
  • RRMB Google 2023 01.jpg
    RRMB Google 2023 01.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
would agree it looks like it says handsworth labour party...the rest of the wording is difficult do you have a date for the photograph ?

Back