• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Westfield Avenue Maypole

LangstoneLad

Brummie babby
Hi Used to visit a relative who lived in Westfield Avenue opposite Daisy Farm Park during late 50's early 60's. There was a factory opposite which had a very distinctive hooter for breaks. Anyone remember it's name? Now built on and is where Mortimer Close stands. Thanks.

Hi Used to visit a relative who lived in Westfield Avenue opposite Daisy Farm Park during late 50's early 60's. There was a factory opposite which had a very distinctive hooter for breaks. Anyone remember it's name? Now built on and is where Mortimer Close stands. Thanks.
Hiya,
I grew up in Sladepool Farm Rd in the 40s & 50s.
The only factory near Westfield Ave, that I can remember, was a moderate sized building, I think with a curved asbestos roof. I can't remember a name but there was a German Embassy - type shield fastened to the front wall of the factory.
Baz.

Factory in this area (highlighted) on an aerial photograph taken in 1945. - As you say, now occupied by new housing on a cul-de-sac called Mortimers Close.maypole lane 1945.JPG

Hiya,
The only factory near Westfield Ave, that I can remember, was a moderate sized building, I think with a curved asbestos roof. I can't remember a name but there was a German Embassy - type shield fastened to the front wall of the factory.
Baz.
Thank you. Turns out to be W H Doherty as mentioned on a previous post. There is a one liner on the W H Doherty website confirming the firm moved to Maypole Lane in 1953. There is also a mention on the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust website. They hold plans by an architect, Robert Harvey, of proposed alterations to the factory in Maypole Lane 1965-68. The company was started by Bert Doherty, The secretary of the company is Heide Doherty born 1944. So this suggests that your recollection of a German connection is correct. There is now a W H Doherty at Vulcan Works Boulton Road Solihull. The Doherty Group also have a factory producing electric motor shafts in Hungary.
Thanks again for clearing up that old memory.

Factory in this area (highlighted) on an aerial photograph taken in 1945. - As you say, now occupied by new housing on a cul-de-sac called Mortimers Close.View attachment 188799
Now that's an interesting photo ! In my memory there were a couple of bungalows built in the field, next to the factory. I couldn't figure out what those blurred areas in the park were, then I remember being told that there were AA guns sited there. The censor must've been active.

Hiya,
Baz.
Thank you. Turns out to be W H Doherty as mentioned on a previous post. There is a one liner on the W H Doherty website confirming the firm starte
Thanks for the interesting information. I used to frequent the area mid- 50s, a couple of my friends lived in Westfield ave. in those days.
Peter & Terry by any chance?

Now that's an interesting photo ! In my memory there were a couple of bungalows built in the field, next to the factory. I couldn't figure out what those blurred areas in the park were, then I remember being told that there were AA guns sited there. The censor must've been active.
Maybe, - I had them down as football pitches - The big AA gun site in the area was just the other side of the Maypole at "Kings Wood" - Moundsley Farm , in the triangle of land between Crabmill Lane and Druids Lane. The same photo mosaic shows that site clearly. It had 4 of the big 3.7 AA guns in emplacements with the "predictor" emplacement looking like a 5th on the photo. - A standard layout for such a site. There was hutted accommodation for the gun crews to the West of the gun emplacements and a Motor transport compound to the North. With the gunsite at Kingswood and the big RAF base at Wythall I'd imagine the football pitches at Daisey Farm recreation ground would have been in high demand - maybe more mud than grass! Giving rise to the "blurred look". - If there were any guns on Daisy Farm Rec, I'd imagine them to be the smaller 40 mm Bofors, and would have been there for only a limited time, as they tended to move those around.
gunsite.JPG

The Kingswood site is mentioned in "The Defence of Worcestershire in WW2" by /Mick Wilks.pub 2007. The relevant part is below:

View attachment 188813
Fascinating - Thanks Mikejee. I really appreciate that. The ramp is still there, I often wondered what it was used for. It is now used by the young scallywags from Druids Heath for their monkey bikes. The site is littered with the detritus of beer cans and drug-taking and you often can't get up Crabmill lane for the Fly Tips, something that will only get worse when the Lifford Lane refuse site closes for refurbishment later in the year.

Edit - Just checked again. The ramp is still there, but it's in an area of ground fenced off with some caravans in it and a whole lot of animal enclosures. - The area where the youngsters drive their monkey bikes is where the old Kingswood farm buildings used to be.

Last edited:
My thanks to both Dinger and mikejee for the above. It's of great interest to me as my Dad was part of that Battery when it was manned by the Home Guard. He was a L/Cpl, (fuze setter).

Maybe, - I had them down as football pitches - The big AA gun site in the area was just the other side of the Maypole at "Kings Wood" - Moundsley Farm , in the triangle of land between Crabmill Lane and Druids Lane. The same photo mosaic shows that site clearly. It had 4 of the big 3.7 AA guns in emplacements with the "predictor" emplacement looking like a 5th on the photo. - A standard layout for such a site. There was hutted accommodation for the gun crews to the West of the gun emplacements and a Motor transport compound to the North. With the gunsite at Kingswood and the big RAF base at Wythall I'd imagine the football pitches at Daisey Farm recreation ground would have been in high demand - maybe more mud than grass! Giving rise to the "blurred look". - If there were any guns on Daisy Farm Rec, I'd imagine them to be the smaller 40 mm Bofors, and would have been there for only a limited time, as they tended to move those around.
View attachment 188812
Thanks, I was told that the guns in the park were Light AA. Perhaps they were defending the balloon site in Maypole Lane.

Thank you. Turns out to be W H Doherty as mentioned on a previous post. There is a one liner on the W H Doherty website confirming the firm starte

Peter & Terry by any chance?
No, there was a girl who lived in Westfield Ave, a couple of houses down, on the right. Sadly, I forget her name. My mate, Colin Booth, lived (I think) at the bottom end of the road in Courtway Ave.

The names aren't familiar. I was in that area in 1954-55.
Girls just about younger than you by the sound of it. Good reading your recollections. Used to do the daily walk from Nafford Grove to Grendon Road School from approx 58 to 63 via the gulley in the Sladepool Farm Road dip.

Girls just about younger than you by the sound of it. Good reading your recollections. Used to do the daily walk from Nafford Grove to Grendon Road School from approx 58 to 63 via the gulley in the Sladepool Farm Road dip.
I went to Highters Heath school. I never understood why I wasn't sent to Grendon Rd. That gulley was a handy short cut, a mate of mine lived a couple of doors from it.

Back