• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Deciphering Name On Census Record

Neilythere

proper brummie kid
I have been recently going through some Census records relating to family members and have a query relating to a detail on a 1911 Census record.

The word in question is written in the 'Occupation' column but has been partially crossed out, I think it may be the name of the company where the person was employed as a 'Brush borer' - so presumably a brush making business located in the Deritend area. I thought it might be 'Lee & Bateman' (?) but can't seem to find a reference for such a named business.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• 1911 census occupation, business name?.png
    1911 census occupation, business name?.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 34
I am helping a frend trace her family - bit of a nightmare as the cenrecords for the have different spellings of the name on each year but... we are getting there.
The eldest daughter (under a different naem as born before the marriage of her parents) is not at home in 1891. We have found a possible entry - remains to try to prove it - but I am not sure of the occupation.

This is the entry
1711714553295.png

I think the first word might be weaver - any suggestions for the rest. The daughter was visiting in Handsworth and the family lived in Birmingham. She was aged about 19.
Thanks.

I agree MWS but I can't decide what iT should be.
The trouble is I can't find her after 1891 to see if her job was the same.
I cantbfind a marriage but don't know what name she would gave married.
Birth is reg with mmn - the one spelt I different ways
In 1871 she is with her mother, sister and stepfather so could have used his name.

thanks everyone i thoughti looked like it said male but could not link it up...just going to see if its in my occupations book

lyn

A male maker is someone who makes travelling bags. Intensive research tells me that the term comes from Royal Mail and their post bags. So presumably “Weaver’s ……..”

(A valuable bit of information we should all tuck away for future use.)

Chris
Family Tree Researcher defines Male-Maker as maker of "leather travelling bags" perhaps term also used by Royal Mail as I guess back in the day most bags may have been made of leather?

Back