• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Apparent random problem with the forum

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
There has today occurred a problem for some members , which appears to affect only some people (two so far including a moderator). The notification icon and search icon do not work, nor the ability to post on the forum or to access members details via hovering over the avatar. The latter means that it is not possible to send personal messages via that route, but this can still be done (hopefully for everyone) by clicking on the envelope icon. One hopes these problems will soon be solved , but this is just to inform members that this might occur in their case also
Mike

I finally got mine to work ( Edge browser ) by using the zoom function in my browser to reduce the viewable screen size down to 80% to
get the notification icon to highlight and be useable. Further reducing to 75% gets the search function working. Of course once reduced, the
page is to small to read so have to re-zoom to read forum content. :(

I haven't altered any settings on my Laptop for months, plus I'm not having this problem with other forums I visit.

hi bob following your instructions i have checked everything and i think all of my function buttons are working now providing this message i am typing will send...i took my zoom down from 125 to 110 ...i really do not understand why we have had this problem and the solution is not ideal as the text is smaller than i would like..bob can i suggest that you try again and higher your zoom to 90 or 110 to see what functions are working in other words try the process of elimination...

lyn

Last edited:
Glad it's helped you Lyn.

I'm not completely computer savvy but it seems like the 'fields' that contain the icons are being stretched out from the screen to the point where they cannot be activated. Maybe someone with more computer knowledge can solve this problem for us.

My screen is HD so I'm coming down from 100% to 75% to get everything functioning.

hi bob so have i got this right..for you to be able to use all of the function buttons you have had to reduce your zoom to 75% but to be able to read the forum content you then have to increase the zoom again then reduce again to use the function buttons ? if this is the case that is very inconveinient for you...

i can manage to use the functions and read the forum content at 110 % but only just as with my eye sight i prefer the zoom higher...

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
There has today occurred a problem for some members , which appears to affect only some people (two so far including a moderator). The notification icon and search icon do not work, nor the ability to post on the forum or to access members details via hovering over the avatar. The latter means that it is not possible to send personal messages via that route, but this can still be done (hopefully for everyone) by clicking on the envelope icon. One hopes these problems will soon be solved , but this is just to inform members that this might occur in their case also
Mike
I would like all members to remember how hard the staff work to make the BIRMINGHAM HISTORY FORM a great site

Members ask difficult questions and from no where comes an answer.

Thank you

Nick Phillips

hi bob so have i got this right..for you to be able to use all of the function buttons you have had to reduce your zoom to 75% but to be able to read the forum content you then have to increase the zoom again then reduce again to use the function buttons ? if this is the case that is very inconveinient for you...

i can manage to use the functions and read the forum content at 110 % but only just as with my eye sight i prefer the zoom higher...

lyn
Here is a screenshot of my screen at 75% you can see the text is about half the size of the text at the top of the screen which is normal size.

Screenshot (95).png

Thank you to RRJ for giving us a workaround for this new problem which a few members seem to have encountered. Has anyone else had a problem? If so, please let us know here. Please at the same time advise browser being used and also type of device.

Chris

Thank you to RRJ for giving us a workaround for this new problem which a few members seem to have encountered. Has anyone else had a problem? If so, please let us know here. Please at the same time advise browser being used and also type of device.

Chris
hi chris my device is a new acer chrome book ..google chrome browser...what concerns me is that if other members cant use the functions then they will not be able to make a post and let us know they have a problem unless of course they read this thread and follow the advise given by our member RRJ (bob)

until i reduced my zoom from 125% to 110% the only function that worked for me was the private messages which is how bob messaged mikejee with the solution (luckily bob could also use the private messages)..mike then in turn passed the info onto me..as you may have read to use all the functions bob has had to reduce to 75% making it hard for him to read the forum so then he has to increase the zoom so that he can read the forum then reduce again to use the functions...what a faff for him..at 110% i dont need to keep changing my zoom but the main page is smaller and the text is smaller and although i can just about manage it is not good for anyone with poor sight

lyn

Thanks, Lyn. So the problem covers both Chrome and Edge.... If we want to get Warren to investigate this - and we need to as even using the workaround the situation isn't wholly satusfactory - we badly need more examples which might start to show some pattern.

Chris

Chris
As I stated on the other thread, I am ok, but am on zoom 100%. On zooming up I do hav eproblems (but do not normally do this). Mine is an HP laptop, and using Cnrome.

I am in the US and have seen no changes. Going through the thread to Mikes original comment. Everything is the same. I am using a Lenovo notebook a little over a year old running 11 and Edge. I am writing this on my iPad about 6 months old. And no change on my iphone. I hope that is helpful.
Thanks for all the help and support!

I do not seem to have any issues, or, did not think that I did.
Old HP notebook.
Comodo Dragon
Win 10
Zoom usually set at 100%, but I set it to 200% for this, as a test run. "Post reply" did not work, until I reduced the zoom to 90% again.

Steve.

I do not seem to have any issues, or, did not think that I did.
Old HP notebook.
Comodo Dragon
Win 10
Zoom usually set at 100%, but I set it to 200% for this, as a test run. "Post reply" did not work, until I reduced the zoom to 90% again.

Steve.
thanks steve it would be interesting to see if members can use all the forums functions (ie post reply..search engine..whats new...members..forums..appreciate button..private messages...) with zoom set at 125% which is what i have always had min set on until i lost all functions and had to reset zoom to 110%

lyn

I use Vivaldi as my main browser, BHF is not responsive on that browser. An alternative browser is Brave where most BHF demands are met. My operating system is Linux Cinnamon 21.3. I do not care for Microsoft products and only use Google for U tube usage. I have a W10 Pro pc but that is only for two programmes that are solely for use W10. I haven't tried BHF on my laptop which is also Linux.

Edit. reduced the zoom to 110% and was able to post my comments.
However 110% zoom in not a percentage that I would want.

I'm usingFirefox on a PC and Ive had to reduce to 67% before the buttons will work to reply or get new notifications. also the the blue anner wouldn't go.
rosie.

had this message off member carolina and advised her...to be honest i have no idea why this problems is happening to some members...all us mods can do is to try sending a private message to warren/jim

Hi Lyn, I still cannot comment, reply or search on the Forum so I cant add to the thread thats already going. I have Lenovo PC and Chrome and can use Edge and still cannot access.

I have logged out and logged back in but still not good.

Any idea what I can do now?

Regards

Carol

after trying to reduce her zoom it did not work...had this private message off carolina..no idea what to suggest now me not being an expert

It didn’t work it’s still the same I can access ok on my phone though but prefer my PC

Lyn I have reduced from 175 (recommended) to 125 and it seems ok. I will have to put back up for next week as I have a zoom for a course for not giving a cyclist enough room on the road!

Lyn I have reduced from 175 (recommended) to 125 and it seems ok. I will have to put back up for next week as I have a zoom for a course for not giving a cyclist enough room on the road!
ahh thats good carolina

lyn

Thanks Lyn for your help
no probs carolina..nice to see you posting again..no idea why this is happening but clearly something has changed with this forum..just hope i dont have to reduce my zoom lower than the 110% it is on now because i wont be able to read the writing..

lyn

Back