• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Moving on now to roll 68 this is a varied selection so hopefully these are new to you.

First up is 69 -74 Staniforth Street in 1961, children playing out on the street - there is a pram in front of the left hand front window, nice lamp and a fine selection of chimneys and chimney pots.
20230111215502_01.jpg

This looks like one of the old tram Sheds/depots
This appears to be (not 100% certain) the Rock Spring Works originally occupied from around 1903 by Camwal Ltd. (aerated water manufacturers), the building was still standing in 2021.

Attachments

• camwal-ltd..jpg
    camwal-ltd..jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 15
  • rock-spring-works-possibly-2021.jpg
    rock-spring-works-possibly-2021.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 15
  • cheston-rd-map-1950s.jpg
    cheston-rd-map-1950s.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 15
The more I look at pic 179022 , it reminds me the road /Street on the left is a section of Navigation St and the road /street coming off it is the bottom part of Hill St , isn't that the old Queens Hotel at what I think is Navigation St

Here is a view down Newhall Street on 16th May 1992, showing the setting up of the steam gathering, which used to be held annually.
Its an interesting shot as it shows the activity ( low loaders, cars, smoke) that goes into the start of these events which the visitors do not see.

20230111215502_09.jpg

We go back onto St Pauls Square to look back to Caroline Street. This is the other side of the road to the previous picture ie where the photographer was standing. Although there was much industry the building with the circle is now an engineering consultant.

20230111215717_07.jpg

Just noticed that I did not finish Roll A70, I stopped as it was getting late and I was making mistakes but forgot to finish the roll!
So this is The all Saints Tavern Lodge Road in 1963, one of those fine Tiled frontages with the lamps, I like the cart in the road and the old style fencing to the right
20230111221238_06.jpg

For those folk who do not know what a Bundy Clock looked like the are threads with them on BHF. The more modern photo, at Scott Arms only show the base - the clock itself has been removed.
When we were kids at secondary school there was a Bundy clock at the terminus not far from our school , once the driver had turned the key he we asked if he could stamp our hand on the bottomm part of the key where the pattern is cut in were numbers identifying the driver status and the key print would be printed on your hand .

Just noticed that I did not finish Roll A70, I stopped as it was getting late and I was making mistakes but forgot to finish the roll!
So this is The all Saints Tavern Lodge Road in 1963, one of those fine Tiled frontages with the lamps, I like the cart in the road and the old style fencing to the right
View attachment 179574
My mentor remembers this pub very well as he was only a lad when he used to play around here .

Back