• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

We are now starting on Roll 67 and a wander around Aston, a quick search on google streetview says that a lot of these streets no longer exist so your assistance will be needed. We start at Stretton Street Road (Edit thanks Mike) 19th April 1992, the area is fenced off the demolition has started, across the road has already gone and a close look would show that the windows are missing upstairs in these houses.
20230111214652_01.jpg

Last edited:
next we have Whitehouse Street, Aston on the same date, a row of Industrial buildings of various sizes and ages, I am not sure if the black paint has any significance, with a "T" and a circle and square or am I reading too much into it? Quite elegant chimneys on the one factory and metal framed windows.
20230111214652_03.jpg

We are now starting on Roll 67 and a wander around Aston, a quick search on google streetview says that a lot of these streets no longer exist so your assistance will be needed. We start at Stretton Street, 19th April 1992, the area is fenced off the demolition has started, across the road has already gone and a close look would show that the windows are missing upstairs in these houses.
View attachment 179420

It is Stretton road. Map below

map 1950s showing stretton road.jpg

For the next picture I need some detective work, we have crossed the road and I am told " This is the old Shead and Uoter building" is this what it was actually called? - buildings from 1890's and now a gas bottle depot my information says..
Note the security measures glass stuck in cement - nice slate roof though.
20230111214652_09.jpg

Sorry we are still in Chester Street - should have said, moving up the road and we have an interesting selection of buildings, small, large, some buildings with roof lights some with vents and some with holes in their roofs. There also seems to be a selection of walls which seem to be additions.
20230111214652_10.jpg

Aston Paper Mills Cheston Road 20230111214909_11.jpg
and the paper mills thread has Kellys from 1880's which has the address thus
paper_makers2C_kellys_1880.jpg

Last edited:
Next Hudson Edmunds and Co, all boarded up and the windows starting to get broken, which is a shame, from the company name I assume someone can locate the address

View attachment 179478
It was Sheepcote Street, Ladywood.
The building is Grade 2 listed now.

Now we are at the end of Sheepcote street and we have a few images of what is now called The Roundhouse - https://roundhousebirmingham.org.uk/
Taken back in 1992 ( I may have visited as it ws council owned and a dumping ground for furniture and other castoffs from office moves. Looking up Sheepcote Street to where the previous picture was taken it shows the gatehouse and various external buildings.

20230111215202_10.jpg

Next we have a wider view of the entrance taken from St.Vincent Street, and shows the mirror image of the entrance. The fence on the left has gone and is now Brindley Point apartments, If you look at these pictures and remember the location would you believe a one bed apartment is £160k?

20230111215202_09.jpg

Back