• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hingeston Street

hi vinny and dibb4
the rimi cafe closed down eventual and the side entry along side was openend up by the kirbys
I think it was irene and annie whom opened up the rag alley for a short while
before moving up to kingedwards road to join the lads to there big yard
The big yard was previously a big builders yard it was previuos owned by Wakelins the
builders and decorators whom there main office was in springfield street just around the corner
It was like there old yard from years ago in farm street like there grand fathers
best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,

Re post #159. Astonesses lost Photobucket images (since retrieved by Oldmohawk) have now been placed back into their original posts on this thread. Viv.

Hi Alan. It's made me look again at threads and I'm still blown away by the wealth of images we have. I'm surprised at how interesting it is to revisit threads for another browse. Viv.

I had forgotten the old road cobblestones down the sides and tarmac were the tram lines had been taken up.
Any more photos of George St West. I would like to print them of for my mother, she was born in Rosemary Passage in 1917 and lived in George St West for over 20 years, she worked as a bus conductoress on the no 8 during the war.
Vinny

I dare say many know of the television programmes on Freeview 81 Talking Pictures.
As 'Cathy Come Home' was, apparently filmed in Hingeston Street there is a good chance that it may be features on that channel.
Those with in an interest in Hingeston Street might be advised to keep a watchful eye on the tv schedules. I gather that some of the paid for providers also transmit this channel.

Hi Alan if that picture is looking down george street and if so it is where the waggon is that would be where the hewitts
House up by the qwas from the corner of Hindgestion street and just around the corner there on hingestion street there was a paper shop and theres where my other mate lived they was the silvester family and i recall mrs tranter, i beleived she move up by the Q E hospitala when then moved out for the slum clearence Astonian;;;;;

HI DIBB,AND WALES
First Of All Thanks Dibbs For THE Pic ,And Wales ,
I To Have Memories Of The Street ,And The Pub, What Year Was Your Father There Until He Left ?. Because Some Of My Memory,s Are Good And Bad ,
About The Pub , Iv,e Had A Good Laugh In There With Some Of The Lads
Whom Are Local ,Every Body Pulled Together And Helped Each Other
The Bad Memory , I Would Say Is That An Old Friend Of Mine Whom Lived Directly Oppersite The Pub ,Never Stepped In The Pub For A Tot ,Nor Any Other Pub In Her Life , She Was A Larger Than Life Lady Very Happy And Go Lucky ,She Had ALOT Of Kids And Lived For Them , But The Saddest Thing Of All She Had A Very Lazy Good For Nothink Husband Never Worked In Is Life ,
She Moved Down From Monument Rd To Hingegestion St, She Was There
For Less And 12 Months , When One Lunch Time In 56/7 He Asked Her To
Nipp Across To The Out Door To Fetch Him 10 Park Drive , In There House They Was A Poor Family And They Used To Burn Timber .Logs ,
And He Always Kept An Axe In The Fire Grate , And Because She Kept
Him Waiting FOR Ages , When She Eventulay Came Back ,He Started To
Shout At Her And He Accused Her Of Having An Affair With The Gather
Over At The Pub , And Then He Chopped Her In The Head And Killed Her .
The Kids Went Into Care And He Got Life In Prison ,And Which In Those Days Was Only Ten , Or Fifteen Years To Serve , As I Said They Was Friends Of Mine, I,M nOT Thinking Your Father Was The Sme Gather
At That I Would Imagine He Would Have Moved On By Then,
Also I Believe Its A Small World , And Strange , When I Said That Mrs
Hanlon Moved FromA Terrace In Momument Rd Close To Shakespear Rd
There Was Another Lady And Family I Knew Very Well She Was A Neibour ToMrs Hanlon , Her Name Was Mrs Curly , In The Same Terrace On The Monument Rd In Fact 4 Doors From Each Other
She Endened Up Murdered And Burnt To Death In Her Own Bed As
I Recently Mentioned Under Fire On The Thread
And Also To Finish Off The Gather Of The Other Pub The Hingestion Was Also Murdered A Couple Of Years After The First Case With Mrs Hanlon
Then By A Certain Gang He Got Caught And Served Five Years ,
Thats Some Of The Good And Bad Memories Of The Hingestion St For Me
IDo Have Loads More But I Better Sign Of This Thread Now ASTONIAN ,
Hi is there any pic of the hanlon family my uncle was one of mrs hanlons kids

I dare say many know of the television programmes on Freeview 81 Talking Pictures.
As 'Cathy Come Home' was, apparently filmed in Hingeston Street there is a good chance that it may be features on that channel.
Those with in an interest in Hingeston Street might be advised to keep a watchful eye on the tv schedules. I gather that some of the paid for providers also transmit this channel.
Its been a long time since I've seen "Cathy come home" I was around 15 when it was filmed, it was NOT filmed in Hingeston St it was Prescott St and Coralie St. If you look up "Reel Street" you will find a then and now photo.

Nick S Phillips

hi nick ive watchd it a couple of times having an interest in the area and yes prescott st for sure as i think you can make out the st sign..(i was stopping and starting the film) but i also think i recognised a bit of hingestion st as well i had family who ran the rose and crown in hingestion...must play it again and have a closer look as i could be wrong

lyn

hi nick ive watchd it a couple of times having an interest in the area and yes prescott st for sure as i think you can make out the st sign..(i was stopping and starting the film) but i also think i recognised a bit of hingestion st as well i had family who ran the rose and crown in hingestion...must play it again and have a closer look as i could be wrong

lyn
Lyn, I lived in the area for the first 16 years of my life, I still visit the area often, if you know where to look you can still work out where some of the old streets were.

Nick S Phillips

yes nick ive been down there quite a few times myself armed with overlay maps..lots of streets and road cut short or gone now...lyn

yes nick ive been down there quite a few times myself armed with overlay maps..lots of streets and road cut short or gone now...lyn
Lyn, I would always be happy to share my knowledge of the area without "overlay maps" if it would be any interest to yourself the next time you are in the area.
I do visit area often.

Nick S Phillips

cheers nick i will rememeber that ..have to be honest i have missed not being able to get out and about with my camera as i mostly rely on public transport but hopefully things will improve very soon....forgot to mention that my grandad and gt grandparents on moms side were in prescott st...gt grandparents on my dads side were in carver street so i have quite an interest...all the best

lyn

Last edited:
cheers nick i will remember that when we have more freedom of movement..have to be honest i have missed not being able to get out and about with my camera as i mostly rely on public transport but hopefully things will improve very soon....forgot to mention that my grandad and gt grandparents on moms side were in prescott st...gt grandparents on my dads side were in carver street so i have quite an interest...all the best

lyn
Lyn, I would be pleased to share any information I can.

Take care of yourself.

If you have time look up "Reel Street" " Cathy come home " and you will find then and now photos of Prescott St and Coralie St.

Nick S Phillips.

yes you too nick..got the sounds of the 60s to listen to soon so i will check out reel st tomorrow...

lyn

I rember this well.
I went there many time as a kid to fetch brown ale for an old lady that lived up the next entry in one of the back houses, when I got back she would press a sixpence into my hand and was always very grateful.
Can you imagine now days a 10 year old fetching beer!
The outdoor became a betting shop, the shops next to it a green grocery and a fishing tackle shop.
Vinny
Hi Vinny. A friend of mine used to run a cafe called "Cuppa Cafe" in the late sixties. It was on a junction of Hingeston Street and another Street. Do you remember it at all ?

I think this is a great photo, when I was a young lad, I walked these streets many times.
It's the corner Icknield St and Hingeston St It was the route of 96 bus out of the city.
The man crossing the road is Ellen St, where the car is in the distance the white building is the Laurels pub this is crossroad of George St West to the left was Prescott St at the end of photo to the left was Clissold St.

The 96 buses would turn right on to All Saint's Rd then onto Winson Green.

Nick Phillips

Back