• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2021/2022

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
please use this thread to remember your relatives who died during ww1 and ww2.. 4 of my relatives from birmingham..GOD BLESS THEM ALL

HARRY FROGGET KIA IN FRANCE 6th of dec 1916 aged 21..harry had been married a few short months..

EDITH ELLEN HARRINGTON aged 59
HERBERT WALTER HARRINGTON aged 60 both died as a result of enemy action 1942 at minstead road erdington

GEORGE THOMAS WOOD DIED OF WOUNDS 21.2.1916 buried at lijssenthoek war cemetary belgium

i will also be thinking of my dads little brother who was evacuated to monmouthshire wales and who sadly died aged just 6 due to complications after an operation for appendicitis...he was buried at the local church with no family in attendance..i have recently visited the church twice and am in the process of finding his burial spot...i also hope to attend the churches rememberance service on the 14th where harrys name will be mentioned..god bless you harry....you had no time to grow..

HARRY HARRINGTON DIED MONMOUTHSHIRE AGED 6..BURIED ON 5TH MARCH 1941 AT ST MICHAEL OF ALL ANGELS LLANFIHANGEL YSTERN LLEWERN

Last edited:
220px-Findhorn_war_memorial.jpg
God bless the all

thanks for posting that photo of the church pete...its 15th century and having visited it i really cant think of a more peaceful resting place for little harry

lyn

Rest in Peace nd thanks for your sacrifices/

ALBERT PERKS died 11 April 1917 killed in action with Royal Warwicks 1st battalion.
Commemorated on The Arras Memorial at Faubourg-D´Amiens Cemetery, Arras

FREDERICK PERKS (younger brother of Albert) died 25th April 1917 died of wounds fighting with Royal Warwicks 15th Battalion
Buried at Lapugnoy Military Cemetery Lapugnoy, Departement du Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France

JAMES BURRIDGE died of pneumonia 25th November 1918. He fought with Kings Own Yorkshire Regiment.
He died in Uffculme military hospital Birmingham and is buried at Lodge Hill Cemetery. (I assume he contracted pneumonia whilst recovering from injuries as he is listed on CWGC as a war casualty but does not have a war grave at Lodge Hill).

ALBERT PERKS (nephew of the first two - I assume named after that Albert) a RN Stoker who died 8th August 1943 of burns received when HMS Arrow was set on fire by an explosion on an ammunition ship in Algiers harbout..
Buried Cimetière El Alia Ouargla, Ouargla District, Ouargla, Algeria.

Following on from the last:
The three Perks members are all on Shirley War Memorial at St James. Since I took these photos I think the memorial has had a good clean so I need to go and take some more but for now these will have to do. WW2 is very hard to read but it does say Albert Perks (4th line up on the left)

Attachments

• Shirley WW1.JPG
    Shirley WW1.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Shirley WW2.JPG
    Shirley WW2.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 5
Hubby and myself have had our DNA taken in the hope that if any remains are found they may be matched to their descendants/family.

THOMAS JAMES BUCK, 4573, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 1st 8th Territorial Battalion, KIA 1 July 1916 at the Somme age 21. Body never found. On the Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B France.

EDWIN BOWER, 1482, York and Lancaster Regiment. Also KIA 1 July 1916 at the Somme age 30. Body never found. He is on the same Thiepval memorial.

THOMAS BOWER, 47145, KIA 10 September 1918 River Ancre region of the Second Battles of the Somme age 21. Younger brother to Edwin.

ARTHUR HENRY SPICER, 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 201676. KIA 25 May 1918 age 32. Burial place Turin, Città Metropolitana di Torino, Piemonte, Italy.

I have received a message from a WW1 researcher re Arthur Henry Spicer. They are trying to find descendants for him. I'm his 2nd cousin 2x removed so quite distant but if anyone recognises him let me know and I will pass your info onto the researcher: with your agreement of course.

drum_service_sq.jpg
Remembrance during a global pandemic​

As a result of Covid-19 restrictions, it may be necessary for individuals and communities to consider new ways of performing Remembrance activities, whether at Remembrancetide or any other time of the year.
  • Hold a small Remembrance service in your garden.
  • Create a Remembrance space in your garden by planting plants that have a connection to Remembrance.
  • Dont forget 2 min silence 11.am today

please use this thread to remember your relatives who died during ww1 and ww2.. 4 of my relatives from birmingham..GOD BLESS THEM ALL

HARRY FROGGET KIA IN FRANCE 6th of dec 1916 aged 21..harry had been married a few short months..

EDITH ELLEN HARRINGTON aged 59
HERBERT WALTER HARRINGTON aged 60 both died as a result of enemy action 1942 at minstead road erdington

GEORGE THOMAS WOOD DIED OF WOUNDS 21.2.1916 buried at lijssenthoek war cemetary belgium

i will also be thinking of my dads little brother who was evacuated to monmouthshire wales and who sadly died aged just 6 due to complications after an operation for appendicitis...he was buried at the local church with no family in attendance..i have recently visited the church twice and am in the process of finding his burial spot...i also hope to attend the churches rememberance service on the 14th where harrys name will be mentioned..god bless you harry....you had no time to grow..

HARRY HARRINGTON DIED MONMOUTHSHIRE AGED 6..BURIED ON 5TH MARCH 1941 AT ST MICHAEL OF ALL ANGELS LLANFIHANGEL YSTERN LLEWERN

Remembering all who gave everything for us but especially my grandfather CHARLES OSBORNE who died of wounds in Mesopotamia 21 April 1916.
Before he died he sent home three silk handkerchiefs one for his wife, one for his 18 month old daughter - my mother - and one for his 6 month old daughter who he had never seen. Today my sister is the custodian of these three silk hankies. Thank you for your sacrifice.

My family was very lucky not to have lost any close member during either the Great War or WW2. So today I'd like to remember two of the survivors, both wounded on the Western Front, both repatriated, both survived.

Harry Myers (1899-1974), my father, born Birmingham, Cameron Highlanders, wounded July 1918 in France or Flanders. Seen here back on duty in Edinburgh, 1919.

HMukSergeantukRedfordHMMpor.jpg

Edwin Sheldon (1897-1986), my father-in-law, born Walsall, Sherwood Foresters, wounded October 1917 at Paschendael. Seen here with his father, convalescencing, 1918, Walsall.

Edwin2.jpg

My own grandsons almost certainly owe it to the chunks of two separate German shells for their very existence.

(I also remember my elder brother Graham - 1922-2001 - who survived North Africa, Sicily, Italy, 1943-1945, unscathed. Very few of us have experienced what members of those two generations went through. And how lucky we are).

Chris

Strange your comment on never the same man after the war, my grandfather John Davis (1886 -1945), served with the Royal Warwickshire, but one of those whose record has been lost, gassed and eventually discharged, but lived with constant mouth pain and discomfort and according to my dad was never the same after the war. My father George Davis, a sergeant in the RAF spent four years in India, (Calcutta), demobbed 1946, had had dysentery and malaria, which resurfaced in 1948 in the form of a terrible skin problem, which gave him great pain and discomfort and potash of permanganate baths and lead to his early death at 53 and my father in law Leslie Hobbs a Chief ERA in the Navy, sunk three times including on the Repulse, who could not settle when he came out, would never speak to the family about his experiences, did have one long conversation with me about it which was very upsetting. He did live into his 70s, but mother in law always said it was a different man who came home. They deserve to be remembered, but the two world wars no longer figure in school history.
Bob

How well I remember POPPY DAY when I lived in England. Now I am in the USA and today is Veterans Day in the USA

Attachments

• 255414647_1073612903456227_1533732410721476201_n.jpg
    255414647_1073612903456227_1533732410721476201_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
On the way back from the corner shop this morning with the newspaper, I caught the eye of a little brindle terrier on its lead. As is my wont I bent down and gave his neck a little tickle.

"He must have seen your poppy and thought he recognised you", said his owner, a nice little old lady, possibly even older than I, (definitely littler and almost certainly nicer) and therefore firmly of the WW2 generation.

At that point I noticed the little dog was wearing around its neck a very smart scarf covered with images of bright red poppies.

What's his name?"

"Chester"

"And how old is he?"

"He's 15. And starting to go blind"

More tickles. Then good-byes and Chester and his aged mistress started to move off. I called out:

"The Remembrance ceremony in half an hour".

Her face lit up.

"Oh yes, I ALWAYS watch it".

As I walked on I felt quite moved. Almost a tear. I hardly know why.

When I got home and switched the telly on, I realised it was 10.45, Saturday......

Chris

hi folks re my post 1.. yesterday a friend.. myself my son and grandson james ( 3 generation of harringtons) attended the remembrance day service at st michael of all angels church in wales ..we were made so welcome by everyone there and everyone wanted to talk to us about harry...little harry was remembered during the service...we arrived to the news that harrys grave had been located and after the service we were taken to it....have to admit i shed tears at that news...after tea..cake and bicuits we were led to the grave and un beknown to us the church warden had placed evergreen leaves around the grave to mark it out...what a lovey thought this was...we laid down our flowers card and remembrance cross and karen the church warden said after we had gone she would find a vase out and put the flowers in it yet another kind gesture...sure enough true to her word i received an email from karen last night and some photographs of what the grave looked like now...now instead of just a piece of grass it looks more like a proper grave...i know my dad would be very proud to know that after 80 years of being alone his little brother was now having visitors..we are now making plans to have a permanent memorial put in place...if you look at the photograph of the church on post 2 harry is to the right of it overlooking the wonderful peaceful country side...below are some photos...2 of them taken before the flowers were put in a vase..nearly forgot to mention that half way through the service the resident bat came out and started to fly around the church much to the amusement of my grandson james..

lyn

harrys grave 2.jpgharrys grave 3.jpgharrys grave 4.jpgharrys grave 5.jpgharrys grave 6.jpgharrys grave 6.jpgharrys grave.jpgharrys grave 7.jpg

Last edited:
hi folks re my post 1.. yesterday a friend.. myself my son and grandson james ( 3 generation of harringtons) attended the remembrance day service at st michael of all angels church in wales ..we were made so welcome by everyone there and everyone wanted to talk to us about harry...little harry was remembered during the service...we arrived to the news that harrys grave had been located and after the service we were taken to it....have to admit i shed tears at that news...after tea..cake and bicuits we were led to the grave and un beknown to us the church warden had placed evergreen leaves around the grave to mark it out...what a lovey thought this was...we laid down our flowers card and remembrance cross and karen the church warden said after we had gone she would find a vase out and put the flowers in it yet another kind gesture...sure enough true to her word i received an email from karen last night and some photographs of what the grave looked like now...now instead of just a piece of grass it looks more like a proper grave...i know my dad would be very proud to know that after 80 years of being alone his little brother was now having visitors..we are now making plans to have a permanent memorial put in place...if you look at the photograph of the church on post 2 harry is to the right of it overlooking the wonderful peaceful country side...below are some photos...2 of them taken before the flowers were put in a vase..nearly forgot to mention that half way through the service the resident bat came out and started to fly around the church much to the amusement of my grandson james..

lyn

HARRY HARRINGTON DIED MONMOUTHSHIRE AGED 6..BURIED ON 5TH MARCH 1941 AT ST MICHAEL OF ALL ANGELS LLANFIHANGEL

lyn
bendithiwch ef. (bless him) Lyn

A long research journey Lyn which began here
What a wonderful ending to a sad story.
God bless him

yes jan...of course i knew about harry many years ago from dad and it has always been a mission of mine to find harry and then covid held back my research but at last its mission completed well actually not quite as my next step is to try and find out which school harry went to as there maybe school photos that are archived somewhere...i forgot to mention that the lady who lives in the lodge next to the church as told me to call by for a cuppa and a chat anytime and karen the church warden has told me that next time i am visiting to let her know because she will ask the people who now own the farmhouse where harry was staying if they will allow me to take a look around....i really cant believe just how much generosity and hospitality everyone is offering...it really means such a lot to me...

lyn

yes jan...of course i knew about harry many years ago from dad and it has always been a mission of mine to find harry and then covid held back my research but at last its mission completed well actually not quite as my next step is to try and find out which school harry went to as there maybe school photos that are archived somewhere...i forgot to mention that the lady who lives in the lodge next to the church as told me to call by for a cuppa and a chat anytime and karen the church warden has told me that next time i am visiting to let her know because she will ask the people who now own the farmhouse where harry was staying if they will allow me to take a look around....i really cant believe just how much generosity and hospitality everyone is offering...it really means such a lot to me...

lyn
do you want a dishgled o de. welsh for cuppa:grinning:

As an ex-National Serviceman it is with a tinge of emotion that I watch the remembrance service on TV.
However I am always disappointed that no mention is made of the service given from Southern Rhodesia or even Zimbabwe.

Maybe it is because Zimbabwe is not a member of the Commonwealth. But what has that to do with remembrance? They also served...and died.
(Even Mozambique gets a mention of being in the Commonwealth.)

The Poppy

I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year.

I am not glorification
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token, I am more.

I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage, faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall.​

As an ex-National Serviceman it is with a tinge of emotion that I watch the remembrance service on TV.
However I am always disappointed that no mention is made of the service given from Southern Rhodesia or even Zimbabwe.

Maybe it is because Zimbabwe is not a member of the Commonwealth. But what has that to do with remembrance? They also served...and died.
(Even Mozambique gets a mention of being in the Commonwealth.)

The Poppy

I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year.

I am not glorification
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token, I am more.

I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage, faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall.​
My flag is flying 365 days a year in Remembrance as you can see in pic #20 the poppy is also on my car 365 days a year.........

Attachments

• LWF.jpg
    LWF.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back