• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HARRY HARRINGTON BURIAL

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i wonder if anyone who is subscribed to find my past could try and find out where my uncle is buried please...i only assume he was buried..his death was registered 1st quarter 1941 at abergavenny monmouthshire wales which is where he was evacuated to..he was just aged 6 and according to our dad died of peritonitis (i am going to order up his death cert)...dad never said but i have a feeling that he was not bought back to birmingham

thanks for any help

lyn

lin thank you so much ...now i need to actually pinpoint where little harry is buried ie which church so that i can go and pay my respects...i had a feeling he would not have been buried back in brum..so sad as a few months later his parents lost another son john aged about 8 months..he is buried at key hill..

oh could anyone read the name of the farm harry was evacuated to please...

thanks again lin x

Last edited:
Lyn, I am not signed up to Find my past but I just put his name into Monmouthshire burials which are on FMP and free single search, it has Harry Harrington birth year 1935 burial 1941
Llanfihangel (spelt with f instead of v) Ystern Llewern.

thanks alberta see post 2...lady linda has sorted me out..also my post 4...now all i need to do is prove little harry is buried in the little parish church and will get over there

lyn

ahh many thanks jukebox i was trying to think of who to contact to confirm harry is buried at the parish church...really need to find out before i go hot footing over :) will keep you all informed

I've found a Pont-Yr-Ychain Farm which is possibly the one (Welsh Spelling did seem to vary). Follow https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/343500/213500/10/101111 and move up to where Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern is printed in upper case.
The farm is just under the LL of Llanfihangel. John

P.S. Might be 'Pont yr ruchain' which means Ruined Bridge (according to Google Translate)

Last edited:
hi john thats sounds promising...just looked at your map link and i think i have to subscribe to view it...will take another look

lyn

I'd try the Monmouth Diosesan office Lyn 01633 267490

i have just spoken to the monmouth diosesan office and they were so helpful...i have emailed them the burial record and transcription and they will do all they can to find out where harry is buried fingers crossed

lyn

i have now emailed archdeacon ambrose who covers the church of st michael and all angels to ask if he can check the church burial records...

lyn

thanks jan that looks like the name of the farm on harrys burial record...i remember finding dads other brother dennis on the 39 register at this farm...dennis and harry must have been kept together during evacuation dad was sent a little way up to skenfrith... on the register i think there were 2 names blanked out one must have been harry and the other i think was the son of the owners of the farm..its a pity that the 39 register is not updated very well considering that harry died in 1941 his name should be showing..thanks again jan

lyn

I think it might be the one found earlier with slightly different spelling. 1939 register has Bryn Cottage then Chapel Cottahe then The Lodge and then Pont y murchan farm. Following the map after The Lodge the next building is marked as Pont-yr-ychain Farm.
1566393208672.png

I have found the farm that Jan refers to on old maps and looking at a later Ordnance Survey map (1955) the farm is no longer marked. However there appears to be one building marked on that location. I don't know if this helps.

I did a "google" walk and I think the house might still be there. I found the Lodge and the drive almost opposite which I think led to the farm is still there. a you can also see a large house.

wow thanks jan and jim this is getting exciting now...have dinner to sort soon but later on i will take a better look at this info :)

Back