• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Walter Ward used to own Plough Inn Monkspath Shirley

Jeff Langille

I am researching long lost family. Any info on the Ward family that owned The Plough Inn on Monkspath Shirley in 1930's He was my great grandfather. We are trying to find his 2 children beleived to be Dorothy and Walter Sydney Ward both born 1905 and 1907. Thanks from Canada

Walter Sidney was registered Jun qtr 1905 and Dorothy Mary was registered Dec qtr 1906. Can't be certain of anything after 1911 census.

There's a possible marriage for Dorothy - Mar qtr 1931, Solihull to an Austen Clarence Webster.

On the 1939 register transcript she's listed as Dorothy May, can't see the actual record, but there's a death registered for a Dorothy Mary Webster, Mar qtr 1952, Solihull with the correct age.

Walter Ward is listed at the Plough in 1908 Kelly's as well as 1928 so they must have owned it for a number of years. Still listed at the Plough on 1939 register.

Last edited:
I am not sure where the farm was - on 1891 census it lists (presumably in order) - Monkspath Hall, another property (unnamed), The Crown (still a pub although I don't know the age of the present building), then the Wards (farmers) and then The Plough all on Monkspath Street. I can find Monkspath Hall, and the Crown on an 1888 map and I can pinpoint the Plough but am cannot see a farm marked. However, I am fairly certain the farm no longer exists because of the building work carried out in that area over the last 20 years. Monkspath Street is now part of Stratford Road.
In the Kelly's directories of 1888, 1900 and 1912 Isaac Ward is listed as a shopkeeper of Monkspath Street not a farmer.

Last edited:
Are you on Ancestry or anything? That is all I used but will find census and Kelly's later when I put my laptop on.
By the way did you realise The Plough is not in Birmingham? The Birmingham boundary is several miles closer to Birmingham in a place called Hall Green.

I only really use Ancestry although I do sometimes check on Familysearch (which is free) but often only has transcripts not originals.
I began with 1901 census. This led me to 1891 census which showed Walter with his parents next door to The Plough. I have just realised that the Publican in 1891 is the Grandfather of Walter according to the 1901 census.
Then I did a search - I found Walter on 1911 census and 1939 register - not sure if you have these already. Then I looked for the Kelly's entries. The Plough comes under a Warwckshire village called Tanworth in Arden - still a village today. Here are the entries which are online for the Ward family.
By 1912 the entry is for Miss Nephsepha (I think this might be a mistype for Hepzibah).

Attachments

• 1888.JPG
    1888.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1900.JPG
    1900.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 8
  • 1908.JPG
    1908.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1912.JPG
    1912.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 10
New information was discovered from a friend at Warwickshire library. Walter Henry Wards daughter Dorothy Webster had three children Norman, Agnes and Sylvia. Sylvia married and became Sylvia Hood

I think Sylvia Hood might have married again - there is a death for Peter Hood in 1962 and then a marriage for Sylvia Hood to a John Parmee. Could be coincidence but might be worth checking.

Back