• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I prefer the desktop, it's easy to use and I sit comfortably in what my neighbour calls my "Captain Kirk chair" I've got two laptops but they're only used for specific car diagnosis programs that will only run on XP.

I also have an Acer Iconia 10 tablet that I bought off Ebay for £25 from a guy who was suckered by PC World into thinking it was unrepairable, and his fault, just a couple of months after he bought it new. (Just needed a new USB cable.)

As previously mentioned my laptop and desktop just simply updated to W10-1809 last Wednesday with the normal 'check for updates'. I continued using the devices during the update process until they restarted. I use the free 5Gb on OneDrive all the time and it is virtually my network drive at the moment, even my iPad uses it. I have no issues with 1809 and have lost no files. From my experience there are no 'must have' features with 1809 but some look nice and Edge is faster and problem free. Microsoft have temporarily paused the 1809 update pending investigations of isolated reported file loss problems.

I just can't stand the laptop pad, I use a rollerball, I don't like mouses either, (the computer kind). I also use a 26" monitor.

I agree abut the laptop pad - rubbish. I use a wireless mouse - brilliant. I fi want large screen I use my laptop via the TV but for my use the screen with the laptop is fine.

I bought two cell phones, Virgin pay as you go, from a Woolworth store a few week before they shut down. There are only two numbers that separate them. One was for me, the other for my wife. We rarely switch them on, just when one of us is in the local town or somewhere else and needs to be contacted or picking up.
There seems to be a current mania by many utilities and internet people that, for some reason known only to themselves, that they need to know your mobile number. This seems to be so they can text you, presumably with adverts and other, usually unwanted, information. As my mobile is rarely switched on there is no point in them having my details. Moreover I do not text, keypads/buttons far too small for my eyes! ;)
Coming to Windows 10, I notice that Windows used a greater percentage of my disk than Linux does. As the Linux set up has all the same apps/items/software/programmes, whatever you want to all them, that I used on Windows I assume the extra space used by Windows was the unwanted bit and pieces that was part of the W10 download. I guess, since recent updates, that could mean even more space used.

I use a wireless mouse on my laptop and never use the trackpad. The wheel on the mouse scrolls and also zooms or reduces images. A click on the mouse wheel opens a new website or thread in a new tab.

I have now fully checked my updated W10-1809 in my laptop and it is stable and fast. I have not lost any files but maybe that is because my default documents, pictures, music, and video folders are not on the C drive.

Last edited:
alan
I think the reason they all want your number is so they can sell the information (in bulk with that of others)to other organizations , or as they call them "our carefully chosen partners"

The problematic Windows 10-1809 update has eventually made the BBC news.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45784482
I updated on the 3rd Oct so in theory have a 'dodgy' W10 in my laptop and desktop but they are running smooth and well.
I have no missing files and in any case I always back-up important stuff to an external drive.
I can see 6Gb of Windows 'Old' in a system folder and could click the 'Recovery' button but will wait and see what Microsoft does ...

I've had Win10 - V1809 running in my computers for one week now with no problems. Microsoft have now fixed the file loss problem which affected some users and re-released V1809 to the 'Windows Insiders' group for testing before another roll out to everyone. Meanwhile they issued a minor update last night for folks like me who already have the new version and it installed in my laptop this morning.

I've searched for a "ask the Moderators" or "General Enquires" type of thread to no avail so, in light of that I've used this one. As my query is about e-mails and not Windows 10, I would like to ask what thread would be best?

I've run W10-1809 for over a week now with no problems. Microsoft had withdrawn it after I got it but are now re-releasing it. They say 1 in 100,000 users were affected. The useful 'Snip' feature is changed, now named 'Snip & Sketch' looks like below ... works well ...
Snip.jpg

I've been running Windows 10-1809 October update for 3 weeks now with no problems. Microsoft are still on pause with it because of reported new problems with zipped files. One 'normal' update came through taking me to build 17763.55. 'Windows Old' has self-deleted from my system folder.

I updated someone's old slow laptop today dumping Windows and replacing it with Linux Mint 'Tara' and suddenly it was a fast laptop with the internet, facebook, youtube, etc looking just like they were used to and no anti-virus needed ...

I usually have a bus, train or boat of some type as my wallpaper. From time to time, such as recently, where I had a poppy field, I do observe certain red letter days with something appropriate.

I suppose we all use our computers differently as you find out if you try to use someone else's computer.
It is rumoured that Microsoft might be re-issuing the 'October Feature Update' 1809 tomorrow Tuesday 13th after stopping downloads 5 weeks ago. Apparently 2.3% of all Win 10 users (including me) got it before it was stopped. Some users have had major problems but I have not had any.

I love Malta and my wallpaper is this view of the Grand Harbour as we boarded a 60 year old Otter for a scenic view of Malta and Goz0. EricValletta.jpg

Great wallpaper pic Eric. I like your icons layout and a couple are familiar to me, Steam and Microsoft Flight Sim.
I've been been flying a CRJ today on positioning flights from Edinburgh to Glasgow without using auto pilot. Full audio from ATC and flight plan. A screenshot shows the CRJ following the 737 waiting for that inbound 747 to land on RWY 06.
Screenshot (7).jpg

Microsoft have finally re-released Windows 10's October 2018 Feature Update - in mid Novemeber.
All those file deletion bugs have been fixed, and Windows Update will soon automatically install it on all user PCs.
If you use more than one computer there are useful features and the Edge browser has been improved and now works well for me. It easily imports bookmarks (favourites) from other browsers.

Hi Eric, yes I normally fly a 737 and set flight levels and headings etc for the auto pilot which takes over at 1000'. I recently bought a new joystick and used the jets' mission to set buttons for the elevator trim tabs so I could maintain level flight at the speeds ATC stated while flying it manually. One quick mission I like is the 'Swiss Outing' where the engine fails over the Alps. With regard to thread topic, FSX runs perfectly (for me) with Microsoft's latest Win 10 update.

Last edited:
Switched my laptop on this morning and saw this ... :oops:
Sam_1461.jpg
I had not registered other fingers so had to dig out my MS password. I was peeling and eating an orange at the time and it seems like it contaminated the sensor. A wipe with a damp cloth and then dry cloth cleaned the sensor and I'm going to register other fingers !

Switched my laptop on this morning and saw this ... :oops:
View attachment 129541
I had not registered other fingers so had to dig out my MS password. I was peeling and eating an orange at the time and it seems like it contaminated the sensor. A wipe with a damp cloth and then dry cloth cleaned the sensor and I'm going to register other fingers !
Are you sure you were peeling an orange or did you have a digit up your nasal cavity? :innocent: No such technology on my W7.

On 3rd Oct I looked at 'Settings' and clicked the 'Check for Updates' button and 30 minutes later I had the very latest Version 1809 Win 10 in my laptop. No major changes but some nice ones and the Edge browser finally ran well enough to compete with Chrome. The Edge 'dark mode' looks good.

Then many 'the sky's falling in' disaster articles appeared (even in the Daily Mail) saying that Win 10 1809 was losing files and all sorts of other problems. A hurried check of my laptop revealed that I had no missing files and all apps were running well even a 15 year old one.

Since then 3 cumulative updates have come in putting me on 1809 build 17763.194.

I've recently read that in 'Settings' if you see 'You're up to date' but still 'click the 'Check for Updates' button Microsoft regard you as a 'Seeker' and download the latest updates and you become an unofficial 'beta tester'.

Then many 'the sky's falling in' disaster articles appeared (even in the Daily Mail) saying that Win 10 1809 was losing files and all sorts of other problems.

These problem only occurred when they first released 1809 a few months ago, and then it only happened if you had an unusual setup with your folders (too complex to explain here).

However they fixed the problems and re-released 1809 a couple of week ago with no reported major problems.

oldMohawk, I tried check updates after reading your post and 1809 Windows 10 was downloaded, took some time and PC switched on and off a few times. Tried windows Edge and after about a minute a large notice appeared about loss of all your files etc... and I could not switch of PC, had to switch of at mains, after restarting problem did not repeat. have noticed my PC is now slower to start up, but not bothered about that. All my Pic, Doc and Music files are all OK glad to say. Eric

Hi Eric,
If your computer occasionally won't shut down you can do it with a long press on the Power Button until it does shut off. This is better than switching off at the mains.
I usually back up all Pics, Docs, and other files before updating. If necessary you can use Settings to restore back to your previous version of Win 10 because MS leave a 'Windows Old' in your computer for about 10 days. Internet Explorer 11 works ok in my computers with the latest version although I rarely use it.
oldmohawk

Back