• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Hall

It was restored in 2009.

Uploading my interiors of the upper floors to my Flickr. Will post some here when I can.

The upper floors look more 17th century than the 18th century interiors on the ground floor.

Until then, here's the Great Parlour on the ground floor - 17th century oak panelled dining room.

And two images of the Great Kitchen. One shows the room without a ceiling, the other shows it with the rafters exposed. Sorry no dates, but would the first image be earlier than the second ? I remember it looking more like the second on a visit in the 1960s.

Both show the spit being worked by a smoke Jack.

Viv.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

This was the closest I got to the kitchen during the open day back in September 2017. Was a couple of ladies as maids.

Lines on Aston Church, by Alfred D, found in the Hereford Journal of March 1842. (For those what like poetry).

BB050290-1E2A-4D91-B694-77FCA9E99512.jpeg ABEBCFC9-D0ED-4C61-8B0C-B17407DC04A2.jpeg 9B27AA15-66F0-4A05-ACFF-6E5EC0251F0E.jpeg 2139CC82-A01A-4E0A-AAC4-004DEA6B2A28.jpeg

If anyone is going to Aston Hall, have a look to see if old Buddha is still there!

Showell’s Dictionary of Birmingham 1888.C5EA2241-59EC-4F3B-A22A-92C06C39519B.jpeg

I have a feeling its in the Art Gallery now. It was on the staircase, but they discovered it may be worth a million pounds. So, its outside the tea room now.

I have a feeling its in the Art Gallery now. It was on the staircase, but they discovered it may be worth a million pounds. So, its outside the tea room now.

Thanks Morturn, a Google goes to the BBC, and it appears in the History of the World in 100 objects. Seems to have an interesting story, and of course raises the question of whether it should be in Birmingham!

If you mean this Buddha

They moved it from the former Buddha Gallery (now a gallery for kids) to the religious gallery. Think it was moved in 2015.

If you mean this Buddha

They moved it from the former Buddha Gallery (now a gallery for kids) to the religious gallery. Think it was moved in 2015.

It could well be, but I think he was found without a left foot. He was given to Birmingham in 1864 but he had not arrived at Aston Hall by 1869 as Samuel Thornton presented Aston Hall with “two beautiful and interesting columns, which formally adorned the grand entrance to the ancient temple of Sooltyangunge on the Ganges, in which the bronze idol, Buddha, was discovered.”

So are the columns still there?

Back