• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Day's of New Street

Bikeral72

master brummie
Does anyone remember a very high quality shoe shop in New Street, Birmingham called "Day's of New Street" My late Uncle Sid Spencer owned that shop until he retired and sold out.

OOOH yes Al, lovely shoes, another of my great aunts shops, went with them as a youngster, loved the long handled shoe horns!!
Sue

My Mom had funny shaped feet, so she always went to Uncle Sid's shop to have them specially made. I always wondered why I went around in sandles.

Was this your uncles shop Bikeral?It was taken in 1961.moss

Attachments

• NEW ST 1-60.jpg
    NEW ST 1-60.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for posting this photo Mossg. I remember this area so well as I used to cut through Burlington Arcade to Stephenson Street going past
Watches of Switzerland. Looks as though there was another shop entrance for Day & Co on Lower Temple Street; the men's shop perhaps.
Day & Co was a special shoe shop and had better quality shoes than some of the chain shoe stores back then.

Was this your uncles shop Bikeral?It was taken in 1961.moss

I reckon you could be spot on there Moss, I can't remember it myself, I would only be 21 then with other things on my mind other than Uncles shoe shop, but thanks for the photo. Marvelous how these pics keep coming up all these years later. I can't see our off-springs being so enthusiastic when they are our age, even though they have all this technology at there fingertips. Well done .Thanks again.

Hi Bickeral,here is another one but a different premises on New Street.moss

City Burlington Passage 1960.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember Day's very well!!

My mother used to take me there to buy my Start Right shoes which was ok when I was very young but not much appreciated as I grew older and started senior school as they were SO unfashionable.

The shoes with the bar strap were not too bad but oh how I hated the lace ups!!

One of the reason's my mother took me there was that she believed properly fitted shoes meant good shaped feet in later life - sadly not true as I have ended up with bunions on both feet!!

Hi Bickeral,here is another one but a different premises on New Street.moss

That's the one Moss, it was on New Street. Fantastic. Must be next to a passage, I'll have to google maps it and find out what it is. That's bound to be still there.Thanks again, fine research. My cousin Tony Spencer, son of Sid Spencer the shop owner is still alive and kicking, although I haven't seen him for donkey's years.

Hi Sue: Jones the Shoemakers changed their corporate image some time ago and the shop on New Street is called Gordon Scott. Here is another
old photo of Day's including Hudson's Book shop. I worked at a temp assignment above Hudson's in the early 1970's when I was in Brum for six months or so.s Shoe store New St.jpg

Hi Sue: Jones the Shoemakers changed their corporate image some time ago and the shop on New Street is called Gordon Scott. Here is another
old photo of Day's including Hudson's Book shop. I worked at a temp assignment above Hudson's in the early 1970's when I was in Brum for six months or so.View attachment 82630

Thanks Jennyann, another great photo of my Uncle Sid's shop I think he was still there in 1970.

Here are photos of Days shoes that were owned by my great-great-grandmother, or even older than that. My mom wears them still and casually mentioned it in passing! Dates now 2022 so heck knows how old these are, but I thought that they were brand new!

IMG_20220606_200537672~2.jpgIMG_20220606_200452066~2.jpgIMG_20220606_200523780~2.jpg

Back