• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by windigo

1. W

Trying to identify country and uniform

Haha, no offence taken at all!! I've hunted out the old photos and realised I'm an idiot! There is some very feint writing on the back of them! Photo 1 (aka John Cleese) it says: 18/2/17; Photo 2 says: 13/6/20 - Curzon Memorial in near backpoint and part of Victoria Memorial in rear"; Photo 3...
  2. W

Thank you ever so much for your reply - I've learned a lot from it! I'll see if I can scan the photo a little larger which may help in identifying the unit title. I think my great uncle looks very much like John Cleese in that photo! Thanks again, Wendy :)
  3. W

I'm wondering if anyone might recognise this uniform? I think my great uncle was in India in the early 1900s. He was originally from Aston, born in 1883 - I can't find him in the 1911 census though. Many thanks Wendy
  4. W

28th London Regiment photo

Thanks for all your comments - I couldn't agree more - it's good to see those brave people having a bit of "fun" isn't it! Wendy :)
  5. W

John Martin 1881-1914

Oooh! Thank you Brian!:)
  6. W

John Martin 1881-1914

Hello Judy, I can understand you feeling emotional. I'm pleased that you've been able to find some information on your uncle. I've found my great uncle's medal card - he died in 1916 but, as yet, haven't been able to trace service records for him, or my grandfather. I'm not giving up though...
  7. W

Somme Grave/Memorial Pictures

That's so sad to read about Pte Arthur G Earp; also your Great Uncle Charles dying of his wounds. I saw the "My Family at War" program on BBC last night and the same thing happened to Eammon Holmes great uncle :( I'm amazed to see Joseph Standing Buffalo here too! Thanks for letting us see...
  8. W

Terry - thank you so very much for taking the photos of my great Uncle's name. I've only just recently started to find out more about him and it's very emotional to see his name carved on the memorial. That was really kind of you! Wendy
  9. W

Terry, Thank you so much - I'm like Bardess now - very, very grateful and extremely weepy!!:rolleyes: Wendy
  10. W

Dear Terry, If you get the time, would you be able to take a photo of my great uncle's name on the War Memorial please? No worries at all if you don't get a chance though! Harold Theodore Emerson, Second Lieutenant, 10/07/1916, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, United Kingdom, Pier and...
  11. W

28th London Regiment photo

I've been slowly going through photos of my grandfather and great uncle's -WW1. They were, at some time, both in the 28th London Regiment (Artists Rifles). I'm not sure how large the photos will come out here but I have larger photos on my computer if anyone would like a copy! This one shows a...
  12. W

Advice/help on Medal Cards please?

Terry, Thank you very much for your time and the information you have found for me! Wendy :)
  13. W

I don't know about you izzy (love your name by the way:D), but I can't begin to imagine what life must have been like for the soldiers in WW1 (or 2 for that matter). You must be really proud of your grandad.
  14. W

Thank you Terry!! I really do appreciate your help, I'm afraid I know nothing at all about the military - I'm trying to learn by reading different websites but just end up getting in a muddle. I'll check back again. Wendy :)
  15. W

Hello - I'm trying to find as much as I can on my great uncle (Harold Theodore Emerson) and grandfather (George Cuthbert Emerson) - I've found the following "Medal Cards" for both of them but am confused as to how I can find any more info. If anyone can translate the cards/point me in the right...
Back