• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by wessex

1. W

Lewis Badges Hockley

It was rebuilt on the same spot sometime during the 60s.
  2. W

Angel Hotel - Stratford Road Sparkbrook

I remember Gordon Green who ran the Chestnuts back in the 80s was gaffer at the Angel in the 60s.
  3. W

Botterill Tyres Constitution Hill

Hi , I remember you..there during the 90s? I was Dennis Rowe's son...I remember you working on a Nissan I had....I did have a Maestro at one point...surprised it even made it to MT lol. We must chat more,I'll try to PM you...but I'm on my partner's tablet,on a business trip,and not sure exactly...
  4. W

Vyse Street urinals

I remember there were a few like this,and yes the Blues ground rings a bell...we parked our car before matches near one. Not on here often,but nice to see Astoness posting
  5. W

Punch Bowl Unspoilt By Progress Pub Five Ways

Thanks David,makes sense of course ... But does seem wasteful. Must say the new building has improved the area,used the food and cinema there a few years ago. A strange area of extremes,but all the more interesting for it.
  6. W

Balsall Heath.

Big jeavons transport company,was in Tysley, not sure now. I went to school in Shirley with their sons....it's still going strong,as the trucks are often around.
  7. W

It either makes you feel old,or you wonder why they built these buildings to last for such a short space of time. Silly question,but why did they feel the need to rebuild there?
  8. W

Do you still have a local?

Indeed,if you meant Hockley there were some great choices.... ...and yes,a short walk to me is your local ... ... further away you'd be a regular....not the same thing....I used to travel sixty miles on mountain roads in Spain to my favourite pub...I was a regular,but it was hardly my local...
  9. W

Used it myself once for lunch a while ago, twas empty,food was ok,but choices were not very interesting...as with most chains,they have a good position,I lived that way thirty years ago.... should be a busy and popular pub.
  10. W

The Greet public house

Along with the Wagon and horses up the road it became a Courage pub. When I worked locally at the Britannia in the eighties most of the locals preferred to walk to us,than use it.
  11. W

I was living abroad for years,came back just after that demolition....was rather surprised that a relatively new sixties building was demolished,that said the whole area seems a lot nicer now.
  12. W

I believe the Red Lion recently shut...back years ago it was run by one of the Futrall brothers....a regulars local...but surprisingly never much trouble.
  13. W

Just as I remember it David,thanks for the share.
  14. W

Worked over the road in Tricorn House early eighties. Full at lunches and tea times, struggled a bit other times. I believe long gone,was a modern flat building,no real character as I can best recall.
  15. W

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Used that cafe a lot years ago,thanks for posting.
Back