• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Trebor

1. T

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

I too went to Bishop Ryder school and I lived at 2/21, Howe Street.
  2. T

Saltley & Alum Rock

I lived at number 11, Reginald Road in the maisonettes.
  3. T

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I was at Cropwood in the fifties, I hated my time there, Miss Urquhart was the headmistress, things they got away with then would not be allowed now. If anyone is interested there is a book you can get out of the library called A Breath of Fresh Air, it is all about the open air schools that...
  4. T

Alum Rock Road Shops

When did you live at that address, my husband was born and lived at 24 George Arthur Rd and I Lived in Reginald Rd, this was until we married in 1963. The shop on the corner of George Arthur Rd was Bagleys, we are still in touch with Ernie Bagley who was a friend Of my husband.
  5. T

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

The headmistress was Miss Urquhart, I think she thought more of her dogs that she always had with her. When I arrived I had platinum hair down my back, she made me have it cut in a pudding basin style, I Remember begging and pleading that I would look after it and plait it, but it fell on deaf...
  6. T

The routine was always the same, we knew what every meal was going to be, on Tuesdays was cooks day off so we had cold thinly sliced meat, beetroot and potatoes, I can remember going blackberry picking and the cook making blackberry and apple pie. Also bonfire night we had toffee apples. I still...
  7. T

Lorraine, I too was at Cropwood, I hated my time there, when I arrived I had platinum hair right down my back but they had a barber that used to come once a month and he gave me a pudding basin cut, it was awful. Do remember making a den in the woods behind the school, also if you had a parcel...
  8. T

The Game

Some of the locations used are, the old library, Cannon Hill Park, Central Fire Station, The Old Rep and Moor Street Station and Newhall Street.
  9. T

Sun ray treament

Re: sunlamp treatment I too was brought up near Saltley Gasworks, in Reginald Rd. I thought the clinic I went to was in Sheepcote Street for my treatment. I can still remember the horrible smell of the lamp, I went because I always suffered with bronchitis.
  10. T

Martin Shaw.

Martin Shaw is on in the afternoons in The Chief on Encore. Also loved him in Judge John Deed.
  11. T

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hello Mikegee, According to Kelly's directory 57 Alum Rock Rd was Leonard Clarke electrical engineer and 59 Alum Rock Rd was Leonard Clarke outfitters, when I lived in Reginald in the fifties/sixties I knew the Clarke family, there were quite a few of them, two of the younger girls were called...
  12. T

iPad update this week

Well I have just gone on to two sites that I use and I have had to log in again, even though I had clicked remember me. i may have to pay a visit to the Apple store in Solihull, there are a couple of other issues that need looking at.
  13. T

iPad update this week

Thanks old Mohawk I have done what you suggested. It seems to have worked at the moment, I will let you know.
  14. T

iPad update this week

Since I updated my iPad this week to the latest IOS every time I go onto a site such as this and others where I used to stay logged into, even though I click remember me, it is not remembering me and I am having to log in every time, is anyone else having this problem. Regards trebor (Rita)
  15. T

Yardley Wood

I lived at 25 Greenaleigh Rd in the fifties, Denaby Grove was opposite on the other side with Ravenshill Rd between them. I remember two people called Sam and Peggy who lived in the Grove, they had come from Curzon Street, where they were neighbours of my gran and granddad.
Back