• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by sylvia

1. S

Bolton/Boulton Henry W

Re: Henry W Bolton/Boulton My gt.grandparents were Sarah & Thomas Wright. My grandmother was Elizabeth Wright sister to Emily Henry's mother. When researching my family history there didn't seem to be much info about what happened to Henry and I wanted to complete my family tree. Regards Sylvia
  2. S

Dance Halls

Re: Laura Dixons To pay for my dance lessons I used to work upstairs at the coffee bar on a Saturday night. This was in the late 1950's early 1960's. Thanks for the photo it brought back happy memories.
  3. S

Bolton/Boulton Henry W

Re: Henry W Bolton/Boulton Shera You are a star. thanks very much for the info. It gives me a great lead
  4. S

Bolton/Boulton Henry W

Re: Henry W Bolton/Boulton Thank you Shera. Could be a possibilty.
  5. S

Bolton/Boulton Henry W

Looking for Henry W Bolton/Boulton born 21.01.1896 at 29 Smith St. Aston, parents Emily Wright & Henry Bolton. Emily died shortly after Henry was born and he was brought up by his maternal grandparents, Thomas & Sarah Wright. In the 1901 census they were living at 197 Bloomsbury Street...
  6. S

Hamstead Hall and Water Mill

Re: Hamstead Hall My Gt.Grandfather Charles Kirkham leased Hamstead Hall from 1881 to1884. He opened the grounds as an entertainment garden. Attractions were boating, fishing, the hermits cave complete with hermit, clowns. a glee party, gymnasts and a huge whale carried on railway lorries...
  7. S

Russell Family-Nechells

Hello Ash Can't place anyone named Henry or Derek in Russell family. Also no knowledge of them running a shop. Think it must be another family with the same name. Regards Sylvia
  8. S

Russell Family-Nechells

Shera Thank you for the additional info on the Russell family. Much appreciated.
  9. S

Russell Family-Nechells

Charles Russell married Sarah Large at Derby 1886. They moved together with their nine children which included my father, James Mathew to 23 Eliot Street, Nechells by the 1920's. Charles died 1931 and Sarah 1944 both are buried at Witton Cemetery.
  10. S

Coldstream Guards

There is a guards museum in London to which I applied for info on one of my ancestors who was in the Coldstream guards. If you write in they send you a form to fill in with details and they will then research for you, it does cost I can't remember how much because it was some years ago. They...
  11. S

George Kynoch (1834-1891)

Re: Kynoch's-Hamstead Hall Hamstead Hall was demolished in the 1930's. The only bit left of the grounds is now part of the golf course. My gt.grandfather Charles Kirkham was a tenant at Hamstead Hall from c.1881 to c.1886 when he opened the grounds as an entertainment park featuring a...
  12. S

Lewis's Department Store

I used to work at Lewis's in the early 1960's in the Counting House on the sixth floor. At the annual stocktaking as soon as the store closed the managers of all the departments had to do a stocktake and bring their figures up to be collated. There was a competition among the stores to be the...
  13. S

Visiting the Grandparents

My grandparents lived in Bloomsbury Street, Nechells until bombed out during the war, they then moved around the corner to Gt Lister Street. Grandad (William Kirkham) was a hairdresser and had a barbers shop with a red and white pole outside. In those days men used to go to barbers shops not...
  14. S

family names/Nechells,Duddeston

Thanks to all who have responded to my post. I have to go away for a week back Monday the31st July. So if anyone else wishes to contact me about these names and dont get a reply, I will respond as soon as I get back.
  15. S

family names/Nechells,Duddeston

Thanks for your kind suggestion Pomgolian. My Grandfather used the name of Knight for business purposes. It comes from his stepfather whose family is all connected with Fulham not Birmingham. So am not hopeful of a connection with Cromwell but of course you never know,do you?
Back