• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Stephen2020

1. S

Richard Middlemore, the UK's top eye surgeon (1800s) from Birmingham

Pedrocut, thanks for these additions to the thread, that last one was a great read. He was such a good man, and the £2000 and £1000 he donated would probably be around £399,000 in today's money. Of the brothers, William owned the saddle company, jointly with James for 10 years, until James...
  2. S

Also, I have been writing this 'middlemores' blog, I don't know if anyone may find it interesting? https://middlemores.wordpress.com
  3. S

Cheshires Brewery - Quinton High Street

This a nice Cheshires picture.
  4. S

"the Blues Houses" For Footballers, Sheldon

I used to get my haircut at The Grange Saloons by the Blues ground. Eric the barber told me that around WW2 time the houses along Coventry Road, where there is a small inlet uphill in the road, just before the Arden Oak, were owned by a builder who also owned BCFC at the time and the players...
  5. S

Fever hospitals in Birmingham 1930's

Wagon Lane.
  6. S

I think Richard Middlemore deserves more recognition than he ever has had. Not even a blue plaque as far as I know. He worked at Birmingham hospitals, wrote books and gave lectures. He also had a clinical practice at 23 Temple Row which building doesn't exist probably, because of the destruction...
  7. S

Wilby saddles

Someone sold this today.
Back