• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by SRWALW

1. S

Paynes shoe repairs

Hi Dave. Thank you for the photo very interesting, I can see how accidents would happen and for the information re your Legal case against Paynes. 1914 uncle Harry was called up to join the army and refused to attest under the Derby Scheme on religious grounds, at his Tribunal he lost his...
  2. S

Paynes shoe repairs

I am sorry to hear that you time with Paynes was fraught with accidents, but sadly unlike today health and safety in the work place was not madatory. My grandfather W.R.Payne (uncle Harry's brother) did not escape injury, even manegment had ther fair share of accidents, so you where not alone...
  3. S

Woodlands Park Preparatory School, Weoley Castle

My sister and I were pupils at Woodlands Park Preparatory School 1960-1961. Mrs Rose Headmistress and Miss Dickinson maths teacher. I have a photo of the school outing in 1961 with the pupils on the steps of Harvington Hall..<br>Sadley my memories of&nbsp;my time spent there can only be...
  4. S

Paynes shoe repairs

Hi, My grandfather was William Richard Payne, Harry and Johns brother. I have done the family tree with a few gaps !! if you are interested. Val
  5. S

Paynes shoe repairs

I always had mine repaired free as well. I remember going to the shop in Selly Oak with my father to pick up grandad on a Saturday evening, in the 1950's there was less machine then and most of it was done by hand.
  6. S

Paynes shoe repairs

Lloyd, what can I say but a very big THANK YOU what a fantastic find how do you do it ?. I dont suppose you know where in Devon it is.
  7. S

Paynes shoe repairs

Bammont, thank you for such a quick reply, I also have a copy of the book but unfortunatly am unable to put my hands on it. I have written down all the information and will have to see if I can get a copy, ( pigs might fly its so old now)
  8. S

Paynes shoe repairs

I am currently researching my great uncle (Harry H Payne) and grandfather (William R Payne) buisness, Paynes Shoe Repairs. Is there any one who worked or has relatives who worked for them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Back