• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woodlands Park Preparatory School, Weoley Castle

R

RenegadeUK

I was at the private preparatory school on Woodlands Park Road from 1953 till 1959. The headmistress was Mrs Rose.

The school was held in the 'village hall' just up from the Heath Road shops. I beleive it was closed in the mid 1960s when the 11+ was abolished.

Does anybody have any photographs (of the school or any of the classes) from that time, or any memories of the school?

My sister and I were pupils at Woodlands Park Preparatory School 1960-1961. Mrs Rose Headmistress and Miss Dickinson maths teacher. I have a photo of the school outing in 1961 with the pupils on the steps of Harvington Hall..<br>Sadley my memories of&nbsp;my time spent there can only be described as miserable. Mrs Rose never took her hat off, ruled the school with a rod of iron. Not being as academic as some of the pupils I was often made to feel the class idiot by Mrs Rose. <br><br>In 1973 I saw Miss Dickinson in the staff canteen at Bromsgrove General Hospital where I was a Staff Nurse, she had just been employed as a clerk in the MedicaL Records Department. I regret now not speaking to her, but just seeing her bought back to meny&nbsp;bad memories.

Woodlands Park Preparatory School, Bournville

I was a pupil at this school from 1950 to 1957. Miss Payne was the headmistress in my early years, before Mrs Rose took over. From 1952 until 1957 I also lived in Woodlands Park Road. Under both headmistresses, discipline was strong, however I feel that the education I received was first class. Punishment could be harsh which I experienced several times myself. My friend at that time and myself were shamed in front of the whole school after the morning assembly because we had been reported as playing in Woodlands Park instead of returning straight home from school the day before. Humiliated, yes, but I got over it! There were some really kind, pleasant, good teachers, Mrs Clay, Mrs Walker, Mrs Payne (not the headmistress) and Miss Dickinson who come to mind. In my final year, Miss Dickinson was my form mistress. She was a lovely lady. She was very artistic and I remember she taught us how to draw the Taj Mahal step by step. Miss Dickinson also taught us beginners French in our last year.

I have a photograph of a class outing with Miss Dickinson to Selly Manor, Bournville, taken in my last term, the summer of 1957 if anyone from that era is interested.

Woodlands Park Preparatory School, Bournville

I was a pupil at this school from 1950 to 1957. Miss Payne was the headmistress in my early years, before Mrs Rose took over. From 1952 until 1957 I also lived in Woodlands Park Road. Under both headmistresses, discipline was strong, however I feel that the education I received was first class. Punishment could be harsh which I experienced several times myself. My friend at that time and myself were shamed in front of the whole school after the morning assembly because we had been reported as playing in Woodlands Park instead of returning straight home from school the day before. Humiliated, yes, but I got over it! There were some really kind, pleasant, good teachers, Mrs Clay, Mrs Walker, Mrs Payne (not the headmistress) and Miss Dickinson who come to mind. In my final year, Miss Dickinson was my form mistress. She was a lovely lady. She was very artistic and I remember she taught us how to draw the Taj Mahal step by step. Miss Dickinson also taught us beginners French in our last year.

I have a photograph of a class outing with Miss Dickinson to Selly Manor, Bournville, taken in my last term, the summer of 1957 if anyone from that era is interested.
Please post the photo, my wife was a pupil there around those dates and had similar recollections as yourself. Many thanks Lawsom

I remember the the posh school, as my mate Mick Whitehouse lived in Woodlands Park, and I passed it regularly!!!

Back