• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by SPGSOB

1. S

Michael Kelly born April 1841 Templemore, Ireland

I have just received my order from the GRO: the marriage certificate of my great grandfather's first marriage and the marriage certificate of his parents' marriage. Michael snr is listed as a bachelor so it would appear that Michael jnr was born 3 months after his parents were married. They...
  2. S

Many thanks for these responses; they have given me more avenues to look into. I will apply to the GRO for the marriage certificate Michael Kelley/Ann Brookes. It appears that he spells "Kelly" without the seconed "E" but I suppose that back then spelling was a bit haphazard. I'll have to see...
  3. S

Thank you for your help. I apologise for getting it wrong. (I am out of practice, I guess)
  4. S

Way back in September 2017 I posted a plea for help in tracing the above individual. The response was amazing! Many thanks again to all the people who provided me with so many leads. Unfortunately, I had to stop my research for some time but I have followed up the information I was given and I...
  5. S

Kelly Michael

Thanks to all of the people above, I managed to trace my great grand parents with some success, although I found quite a few Michael Kellys who were not relevant. It appears that both of the great grand parents had been widowed before they married each other. According to the death certificate...
  6. S

Kelly Michael

Thanks to everyone. Such quick responses too. Sorry it has taken so long to thank you all. I have not been able to access the site until today.
  7. S

Kelly Michael

Hi, Thank you for this. I wondered why you had attached the 1891 census showing the Truly family until I looked at the original image. How you made that leap of faith astounds me! This has given me some great leads to follow and should keep me busy for some time. Many thanks
  8. S

Kelly Michael

Hi, Thanks for this and all the following. This has opened up a new area for me. I am looking forward to following up some of these leads. It's a whole area of new ancestors who I didn't know existed. I didn't know about the marriage but I guessed that she had been married before. I'll have to...
  9. S

Kelly Michael

Thank you very much for all this information. I now have a whole lot of avenues to explore. That's some more certificates to order. I really thought that I had come to a brick wall as regards my mum's ancestors. It seems that thee is still some conflicts with details regarding Michael. The...
  10. S

Kelly Michael

I am trying to trace my maternal great grandparents and failing dismally. The only information I have on them is on my grandmother's birth certificate. Her father is named as Michael Kelly and his occupation is shown as Cemetery Beadle. Her mother was Lucy Kelly late Boddington formerly Avery...
  11. S

Steelhouse Lane

Hi John I really am a complete novice at this. I have transcripts of the censi and the 1841 census has an archive reference of HO107, piece number 1143, book 3, folio 6 page 5. Corresponding data for 1851: HO107, 2057, no book no,,folio 377, page 11. Are these the right numbers? I apologise...
  12. S

Steelhouse Lane

Thank you for this. In the 1841 census he was described as a juvenile but became a son in law according to the 1851 census. Perhaps he was adopted during the 1841-1851 period. He's not really all that relevant to my research but I was curious.
  13. S

Gun Trade Factories

Re: Gun Quarter Name Change I have been reading the above with a strong sense of deja vu. I am an ex-brummie living in Bristol, a city founded mainly on slaves, alcohol and tobacco. I am trying to trace my ancestors and have discovered that several of them worked in the gun trade. Bristol has...
  14. S

Steelhouse Lane

Many thanks to everyone who have taken the trouble to help. I now know what the Artisans' Dwelling Act was about! Bewdley, thank you for the additional information about Joseph. I have a copy of his marriage certificate dated 26/10/1857, when he was 30, so that fits in. He appears to have...
  15. S

Steelhouse Lane

Thank you for this. I must look up the Artisans' Dwelling Act! The title "Insanitary Houses" is certainly borne out by the drawing. Would the whole group of houses be regarded as one household for the purposes of the census? It doesn't look the sort of place that would have a 19 year old...
Back