• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Michael Kelly born April 1841 Templemore, Ireland

SPGSOB

proper brummie kid
Way back in September 2017 I posted a plea for help in tracing the above individual. The response was amazing! Many thanks again to all the people who provided me with so many leads. Unfortunately, I had to stop my research for some time but I have followed up the information I was given and I have found out a lot more. I know that he joined the police in July 1884, resigned in August 1865 rejoined in September 1866 and was "allowed to resign" in April 1881. I have seen his disciplinary record and it is not a pretty sight! Despite being able to find out much more, I am now thoroughly confused. I was led to believe that he married Ann Dunn in the early 1860's but I can find no trace of their marriage. However, the birth certificates of their children show their mother as Ann Kelly, formerly Brookes. Given that their eldest daughter was 7 in 1871, I searched for a marriage between Michael Kelly and Ann Brookes in the early 1860's but couldn't find anything. On the off chance that she was a widow before she married him, I searched for a marriage between Ann Dunn and ?? Brookes at any time between 1860, when she was 16, and 1864, when their first child was born. Nothing! I have a death certificate of Ann Kelly who died in April 1884 at the age of 39, which fits in, but as there is no mention of a member of the family as the informant, that is not a great deal of help. To add to my confusion, I can't find any of them in the 1861 census and the 1851 census shows a Kelly family with the right names and dates but shows Michael as being born in Birmingham. I apologise for going on at length but if anyone has any ideas on how I can progress I would be really grateful.

i am moving this thread from forum rules queries and support to the correct section of the forum which is surname interests where you may get more response...

i am moving this thread from forum rules queries and support to the correct section of the forum which is surname interests where you may get more response...
Thank you for your help. I apologise for getting it wrong. (I am out of practice, I guess)

happy to help...i am sure you will get some response from our members

lyn

All the children listed that I can find are registered with mmn Brookes/Brooks.

If on the 1851 census it is the Michael Kelly, son of Michael and Ann with brothers James and John then they are listed as Kelley on 1861 with a sister Mary.

Michael jnr is again listed as being born Bham. However James, John and Mary are registered with mmn Hackett and the marriage registration for Michael snr and Ann Hackett is not until Sep qtr of 1841 (Bham).

Ok, on the 1841 census both Michaels and Ann Hacket are living in the same house in Barr St. All 3 are listed as being born in Ireland.

Michael jnr is listed as 3 months and if that means Michael snr is a widower or Michael jnr was the son of Michael and Ann before they were married or he is actually the illegitimate son of Ann I don't know.

Knowing what Michael listed as his status (single or widower) on his marriage to Ann would help.

Many thanks for these responses; they have given me more avenues to look into. I will apply to the GRO for the marriage certificate Michael Kelley/Ann Brookes. It appears that he spells "Kelly" without the seconed "E" but I suppose that back then spelling was a bit haphazard. I'll have to see if I can trace the marriage of Michael snr to Ann Hackett so that I can apply for that certificate too. I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain such information for Irish records but it's worth a try. Again, many thanks for the help.

Michael snr and Ann Hackett married in Birmingham not Ireland, registered Sep qtr of 1841.

I have just received my order from the GRO: the marriage certificate of my great grandfather's first marriage and the marriage certificate of his parents' marriage. Michael snr is listed as a bachelor so it would appear that Michael jnr was born 3 months after his parents were married. They were married at St Chads but as yet I haven't been able to trace a birth or baptism certificate for Michael jnr. I had hoped that he would have been baptised there as well (they could have combined the ceremonies) but it appears not. As I mentioned before, the family appear to spell their surname with only one "E" but as Michael jnr did not sign the certificate the registrar could have decided how their name was spelled. Everything else on the certificate stacks up with what I already know (or am fairly sure about). Many thanks to all the people who have given me their help, I really do appreciate it. I now have a new challenge: trying to go back further with my great great grandparents. This will involve Irish records which i understand will not be easy! Once again, many thanks.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back