• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by shyster2008

1. S

Library Of Birmingham 2013

Many Apologies BernardR...Out of order again!!!...Sorry... Still finding my way around OK? Could you kindly point me in the right direction for the Topic on the "Old" Library and I will have a look at what is Posted there? Again, many apologies for my Fau Pas. Brian.
  2. S

Snow Hill (the Road)

Hi sospiro... Lucky you moving to Crete...My favourite place...Ag. Nik. in particular. Anyway...You remember the Radio Components place, similar to the one in Hurst Street, well so do I. And I do recall it was right next to a Wimpy Bar...But apart from SKF Bearings at the bottom of Snow Hill I...
  3. S

Birmingham Library 1865

Re: 'The Library of Birmingham - Now It Is Open' Hi All...Not read all the inputs on this Thread yet but may I ask a question??? Who remembers the "Old Library"??? ...And I do not mean the one before this one!!!! (Watched that one going up in 1967....) The one I loved to visit wasVery old...
  4. S

Bridge Street/holliday Street Old House

Hi Phil... At the time it was under the control of the Birmingham Public Health Department...Perhaps that might give you something more than the "Alabama" Police Dept. Or "Clint Eastwood" Not Researched it myself but there must be something in the B`Ham PHD Files to give you a link. What i do...
  5. S

Hi Lyn. Thanks for that.... I think you may find it very interesting....I remember it well... I used to go there as a 5 year old!!!! Not giving anything away but it was the 1st News Theatre to have a Scrolling "Whats on" !!!! at the front of the Theatre....(All in Lights)... Brian.
  6. S

Hi oldMohawk I`m not very good at Research OK?...Apologies to you OK?...Did not know that you could use Google search and that Information of the type you got was available so I beg your forgiveness. I`m getting too old to use the technology available...just like to put down on paper what I...
  7. S

Hi Lyn... Want to talk about the Post Office Tower???? Largest Structure in Birmingham when it was built... My Ex Fiancees father was the Quantity Surveyor for the development...How about that??? He and myself had to scale the structure, whilst in construction ,to calculate how many tiles it...
  8. S

Hi Viv... Just about... Double Stable Gates...3 to 4 Stables off to the left...Excercise Yard at the top of the Yard and the Farriers Quarters on the bottom right... Farriers Quarters existed of a small area just outside where he used to shoe the horses...Inside was (And do not forget that I was...
  9. S

Hi... Do not forget that my recollections are from 1967!!!!...Roads change and so do buildings..For example there was no TV studio on the right hand side of Holiday Street in those days and the "Gas Street Basin"...Which was at the end of Holiday Street was not a Tourist Attraction...Holiday...
  10. S

Just past the Cottages was a Wooden Gate which led into the Yard where the horses were Stabled...This was to the right of the Cottages... Perhaps some Research into the Birmingham Mounted Police may throw some more light on the subject.... All I can recall is walking down to the Farriers, under...
  11. S

Can I have some Black Magic too????...Would go nice for an after Dinner Treat!!! Brian
  12. S

Hi to all... The house that is in this Thread is next door to the "Farriers" who used to shoe Horses for the Police in 1967 when i used to be a Cashier for Birmingham Health Department and delivered the Farriers Wages to him...Used to pass this house every Friday... Spent many a cold friday...
  13. S

Rootes Birmingham

I only remember it being what I said in my last Thread..Sorry...But from what I can remember from the folks I worked with I think..And only think it was Originally called "Singer". Brian.
  14. S

Rootes Birmingham

I used to have a Sunbeam Rapier H120 with Gull Wings...How I loved that car....1st car I owned...Reg No 999 FOF...Now how is that for a Number??? Passed my Test after 6 lessons and got into it and drove all the way to Sutton Coldfield on my own with no Dash Lights...Scary... I think it was the...
  15. S

Rootes Birmingham

It was indeed a Rootes Factory...In fact, the only Rootes Factory that was in Birmingham... There were 4 Advertising Slogans on the top of the Building that read "Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam, Singer"....(Not sure whether I got them in the right order) I worked next door at George Heath...
Back