• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Shardendken

1. Shardendken

Shard End

Hi - I recently started a topic on a sweet van that used to come round Shard End Crescent on Saturday teatimes in the 1950's. Here is the link: Saturday Sweet Van Shard End 1950's I lived in the Crescent nearest the Bailey bridge between 1953 and 1972.
  2. Shardendken

Shard End

3. Shardendken

Swanshurst Girls’ School

Does anyone remember Nance Williams who taught at Swanshurst Grammar School for Girls in the late 50's and 60's? She lived with her husband, Eddie, and had a daughter, Margaret who attended the school. The family lived in Station Road Kings Norton and it was there that I lived with my parents...
  4. Shardendken

Saturday Sweet Van Shard End 1950's

Does anyone remember the large sweet van that used to tour the Shard End estate? The back of the van had a tailgate that you could step onto and and then stand inside in front of a huge counter from which all manner of loose chocolate, honeycomb toffee and coconut ice could be selected, weighed...
  5. Shardendken

Motorcycle - How To Find My Old One

My first bike was a Honda 50 with the registration JOE 90E. This was a short suffix letter that ran from January 1967 to the end of July 1967 when annual registration letters changed on the 1st August. Little did I know about the TV puppet series Joe 90 that started in 1968, the year I traded in...
  6. Shardendken

Webmore Engineering

Mike - thank you so much for your response to this engineering company query. Dad most likely applied to Webmore from an advertisement in the Aberdeen Evening Express, as researched by Pedrocut, and was able to start on the 10th October 1946, just 2 days after arriving in Birmingham with my Mom...
  7. Shardendken

Webmore Engineering

Does anyone have details of this engineering company from 1946? My father had his first job there when he and my mom arrived in Birmingham from their native Aberdeen/ Sunderland. Dad had completed his war service in the Navy from 1942 - 46. He later joined the Birmingham Fire Service in 1952...
  8. Shardendken

Bread Vehicles

I can remember the CO-OP bread van in the late 50's delivering bread to most of the Shard End estate. We had our regular roundsman named Harry; at about the age of 9 I had a Saturday morning job with him delivering the bread. He was always cheerful and totally reliable and his electric 'float'...
  9. Shardendken

Birmingham City Police Cadets 1966-1968

As light relief from all the physical activities (trekking, gymnastics, hill running up the side of reservoirs, rock climbing and abseiling) we had a few hours on Saturday afternoons to visit civilisation in Rhayader. That is, if we survived the hair-raising journey when transported in the camp...
  10. Shardendken

Hi Harry, Good to hear your cadet experience in Wales. The last week of our monthly camps was spent navigating for 4 days to Aberystwyth and back with rations being dropped off each day and only a blue plastic sheet to sleep under - shared by three others. During one stormy day we had to walk...
  11. Shardendken

During my time in the Police Cadets I attended the 1 month training camp in the Elan Valley near Rhayder, mid-Wales. These photos show the full complement of cadets at my first tour of duty in Summer 1967 and me (back row left) in my allocated team.The latin expression translates as...
  12. Shardendken

Phoenix Assurance Colmore Row

1968 to 1970- Worked there for 2 years studying to be an ACII as part of the management training scheme. Left in March 1970 to start my IT career initially in the motor industry. Can remember a few characters who worked there: Trevor Speedie, Mr Withers, Mr Dewhurst, Paul Melville, John Griffin...
Back