• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Webmore Engineering

Shardendken

Lapsed Brummie
Does anyone have details of this engineering company from 1946? My father had his first job there when he and my mom arrived in Birmingham from their native Aberdeen/ Sunderland. Dad had completed his war service in the Navy from 1942 - 46. He later joined the Birmingham Fire Service in 1952 where his career spanned 27 years.

There was a Webmore (1948) and Co, Camp Lane Works, Kings Norton advertising as Webmore Aerials in the Aberdeen Evening Express December 1954.

From 1946 Kellys
1606312318190.png

The map below (c1949) shows site in red. the road to the extreme right is Pershore Road South

map c 1949 showing 10b and 10C Camp Lane.jpg

Mike - thank you so much for your response to this engineering company query. Dad most likely applied to Webmore from an advertisement in the Aberdeen Evening Express, as researched by Pedrocut, and was able to start on the 10th October 1946, just 2 days after arriving in Birmingham with my Mom. What is more fascinating with the map that you have kindly provided is that my birth certificate (1950) has both parents resident at 10 Camp Lane - next to the engineering works. Looking at present day maps/satellite views confirms that all of the buildings have disappeared on that side of Camp Lane.This has been a rare opportunity for me to see where I lived for the first year in Kings Norton. Many thanks to both contributors.

Back