• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by RobinCanada

1. R

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Thank you PJM those photos will work fine as I recognized them immediately; now if you asked me what I had for dinner last night I could not remember but my memory from 70+years ago is firing on all cylinders. Mr. Shillito brings back memories on one occasion painful ones!! Robin
  2. R

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Sorry I did not realize that it would be taken as an AD as it was not meant to be. I am now 80 and my family wants to know more about my growing up years and this is a way of doing it. Robin
  3. R

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

I have looked at all of the photos you have posted of the Sir Josiah Mason Orphanage and I am looking for a photo of the school as it was from 1948-1953 when I was a day student, prior to the new school Yenton Primary??? being built at the front of the original buildings. I am writing a book on...
  4. R

Police Horses

I am afraid that my brother, Ian who is 7 years younger than I [Austin Healy] is not correct as in 1941 Dad was in Canada with the RAF and did not become a Mounted Policeman until later 1946. I have attached a photo of Reg Searle take outside the Old Duke Street Police station sitting on Nigger...
  5. R

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Hi Lady Penelope; I remember David Wooley from my years at HGS 1952-1958 so he should be on the 2 photos that are posted by 'Enzothebaker', David was one year ahead of me as I was born in April of 1941.
  6. R

Court Farm Primary Tedbury Crescent School Erdington

Hi Chrissyp. Sorry to have remembered polio but when I was 3-4? my mother was worried about me being lethargic and sent for Dr. Butler; his preliminary prognosis was a strong suspicion of polio and he took some blood from me. It came back with some evidence of polio, but many weeks later after...
  7. R

Truly shocked by the news of Anthony's passing so early in life. My wife and I on a visit to check on Mum were in Beatties in Sutton when I heard someone asking if I was Robin Searle? turned out to be Frankie Griffiths. He told us that Tony had left Kay and the kids and was living with an 'older...
  8. R

Hi Jennifer, Yes I remember all three of you. Yes my Dad was a Mounted Policeman and he did that for 35 years before retiring, he passed away in 1991, Mum ]Ruby] lived at 362 for a total of 74 years, until I had to move her into first a seniors residence then a nursing home, she passed away in...
  9. R

Aston Unity Cricket Club from 1950-1968

My kids now that I am 80, have requested that I write about my years growing up when I lived on Court Lane Erdington, using; www.storywise.com and this week's question is "What sports teams did you support growing up? I have found a great amount of material regarding Aston Villa Football Club...
  10. R

Doctors

Your reply Johnny brought back a memory of both Drs Butler and an associate Dr 'Con' and the story of my boil on my stomach. In 1954 I had a boil on my stomach at my belt line and Dr. Butler gave me the black tar treatment X2 then on the third go-around he decided to lance it. Here I digest in...
  11. R

I am writing a book of my life through Storyworth.com and this week's question is how did you get to school?. Well, my first school was Tedbury Crescent 1946-1948 and I was wondering if anyone has access to photos of the school itself that were taken in 1940-the 50s. If so please send me a link.
  12. R

Air raid shelters

I can remember when I was almost 4 kneeling on a chair in the front room watching the bombers both going to Germany and returning at the same time on 'the thousand bombers a night' raids. Castle Bromwich had twin runways, one used for take-off and the other for landing. According to my Mum, I...
  13. R

I remember the caning from Joe,I had a grocery delivery boy job on Friday evening and Saturdays at Wrensons at Beggars Bush. If I had a detention to serve I elected to receive 6 of the best from Joe instead I even wore my gym shorts under my regular trousers to mitigate the discomfort somewhat...
  14. R

Officer Training Corps. OCT Michael I remember you and recognized your arrowed photo in the School photo. My last name is Searle. My first woodworking build was a tray with curved matching handles hollowed out for fingers. When my Mum died aged 97 in 2016 three years before that, I sold her...
Back