• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by NORTHFIELD

1. N

Birmingham Jazz Alive & Well

Not even funny. Just crude.
  2. N

Sheldon

Hi Karen, The Elms was roughly where the shops are. The grounds may well have extended to where your house was built. Your house wasn't there at the same time as The Elms. The Elms was demolished to make way for the new housing development. Ann
  3. N

ATV Studios Broad Street

Dave M, I played a character called Patty, a friend of Sheila Harvey, played by Sonia Fox.
  4. N

ATV Studios Broad Street

I was an actress on Crossroads, so I can confirm, that we rehearsed (and yes we did), in Bradford Street, and recorded on Broad Street.
  5. N

Sheldon

I grew up in Averill Rd, and was told that Averill and Cockshut Hill was built by the prisoners of war.
  6. N

Sheldon

This is a photo of German prisoners of war, building a road in Sheldon, during WW2. They built many roads in Sheldon. Ann
  7. N

Sheldon Bombing

You're welcome Robert. So pleased that it showed your old home. This is how it looked on that corner, before the prefabs. This was part of Moat Farm, in 1936. The house you can see, in the background, is now the Common Lane convenience store. Ann
  8. N

Ansell

Hi again Taila, I should have added this information. Although I need to check it, when I have more time. George William Ansell was born in Birmingham in 1872, son of John Ansell and Thirza. John Ansell was born in Birmingham in 1850, son of Richard Ansell and Sarah. Richard Ansell was born in...
  9. N

Ansell

Hi Taila, My son is an Ansell, and he is descended from the brother of Joseph Ansell, who started Ansells Brewery. Looking quickly at your ancestors, I don't think you are related to the brewery Ansells. Unless it was a long way back. The brewery Ansells originated from Rocester in Staffs, in...
  10. N

Sheldon Bombing

In the 1970 directory, there's a R Woodroffe, Ironmonger, at 4 Cranes Park Road.
  11. N

Sheldon Bombing

Ian and Robert, as you are talking of Common Lane, I thought I would post this photo of the prefabs on Common Lane. This photo was taken at the junction with Church Road.
  12. N

Birmingham Jazz Alive & Well

I was a member of Equity. I worked hard to become a member, and was so glad to have that surety of payment. It was sad when Equity lost their hold over payments. Once there were so many tv channels, it was difficult for them to keep control.
  13. N

Where did you live

Hi csmith, This was taken in 1935. I believe it to be White Rd, as that's where the family were living at that time.
  14. N

Durows

My sons company has thrived since they introduced health and safety to the electro plating industry. His company makes sure that no toxic chemicals are discharged.
  15. N

Sheldon

This one is the shops at the Radleys, again 1950's in Brays Rd.
Back