• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Noodles

1. Noodles

Wellington street, Winson Green

Spot on and thanks, Ada was my aunt (married to Henry (Harry) Spiers and with her sister Ivy ran the shop for while after their mother died in 1922. So it was 117 Wellington Street (yes odd numbers were the railway side) so will pass this on to my cousin, save her racking her brain to recall...
  2. Noodles

Wellington street, Winson Green

Came across these postings when also trying to find a shop in Wellington Street, Winson Green which belonged to my cousin's grandparents surname Twamley (not a name to forget) who kept a grocery shop. I know we visited my Aunt & Uncle (the Aunt being the daughter of the shop owners) who after...
  3. Noodles

Sparkhill Commercial School

Having recently had the move from Sparkhill to Hall Green explained, perhaps someone can explain how the male female streams worked at Sparkhill (I speak of the period 1953-1956 and until the move to Hall Green I expect. Memory being what is it after all this time I remember being in an all...
  4. Noodles

Do you mean other than the score or so memories already posted way back to 2010 when Christopher Short actually posted that message?
  5. Noodles

Wikipedia I note Wikipedia refers to his attendance for a year at a 'Secondary Modern School' without actually naming Sparkhill Commercial, which I suppose was technically correct -a Secondary Modern with a Commercial emphasis - he having failed his 11+ exam. Apparently he later passed a...
  6. Noodles

Thank you for this information, especially explaining the move to Hall Green (as Hall Green Bilateral) in 1964 as i never understood why this happened and that as someone from a 1953-1956 intake at 13+ (and yes being taught the commercial curriculum) seemed to make no sense, With this new...
  7. Noodles

THE WINTERS OF 47 AND 63

I well remember the winter of 1947 but for reasons other than the snow. I lived in Yardley Wood and outside the house was a large grass area (I was 8) and some of the older boys had made an igloo with the snow. You could get four or five inside, but access was strictly controlled by the older...
  8. Noodles

That goes back into history, certainly in the early 50's when I attended (and I once met someone who attended in the late 40's and the badge was a Dolphin then). And meet-ups were always in the name of the Old Dolphins. Perhaps it is recorded somewhere, otherwise in the dark as to why a...
  9. Noodles

When a lad me, my two sisters and parents used to catch the 24 to Swanshurst Park and then catch the No 11 Outer Circle on its journey through Kings Heath and then onwards and outwards through Bourneville and beyond. It was one heck of a journey which (for us) ended in Winson Green where my...
  10. Noodles

Certainly do bring back memories, although wasn't it the 13A that did the Stoney Lane route and yes ended up at the School Road terminus. When the shift was finished they used to return to the Yardley Wood Road garage down (I think) Cleeve Road and then Pendeen Road. I recall also that my mate...
  11. Noodles

Cant say I do from my school days at least and I left Brum to go in the RAF in 1958 and after that married and moved away first to Northamptonshire, and then to Kent where I have lived since 1970. So although I remember well Stoney Lane and Ladypool Road (as the 13A bus went up there) whilst...
  12. Noodles

That is certainly news to me so thanks for that and I can place in my mind where Denis Road was located. I wonder if the 'moved elsewhere' was to Hall Green School (it probably had a more fuller name) as I know some 'Old Dolphins' reunion meetings were held at a Hall Green School. I never...
  13. Noodles

Although my Sparkhill Commercial experience pre-dates your own by some 10 years or so and with the admission that after all these years living away from Brum I have no recall of Denis Road Secondary Modern, I am intrigued by your 'moved lock, stock and barrel'. That sounds like the Denis Road...
Back