• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wellington street, Winson Green

skinner36

Hi,

I am looking for a photograph of a shop that was on the corner of Wellington street and Franklin street. We lived in this shop until we moved to Australia at the end of 1968. I went to Winson Green on a holiday back to the UK and I was so disappointed that they had knocked it down.
I hope someone can help, thanks in advance

John

john this in on the corner of wellington and franklin streets... is this the shop which at the time this was taken it was a betting shop..the second photo is dated 1974wellington st winson green.jpg

lynWinson Green Wellington St 1974.JPG

Last edited:
john this in on the corner of wellington and franklin streets... is this the shop which at the time this was taken it was a betting shop..the second photo is dated 1974View attachment 150167

lynView attachment 150168
Thanks for that Lyn but no it isn't the one. It was also a betting shop when we lived in the sweet shop. Our shop was directly over the road from the house in the background. The address was 102 Wellington street

ok john....if our map expert mike spots this he may post a map showing the location of 102 wellington st..

i also have these 3Winson Green Wellington St .jpgWinson Green Wellington St.PNGWinson Green Wellington Street.jpg of wellington st

lyn

Last edited:
hi john i was hoping that the photo i posted on post 4 photo 3 may have been your shop because as you can see from this map 102 was not exactly on the corner

wellington st map 1970  showing 102.jpgwellington st map 1970  showing 102.jpg

Hi Lyn,

Well the number definitely isn't 102 then. I have marked on the map with an X where our shop was. It was on the opposite side of the road to 102 and it had an entry running down the side of the house to give access to the back gardens of our house and the house next door

Attachments

• Location.jpg
    Location.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 24
Sadly, all of us are getting old. And the authors of these sites are also getting old. Bill Dargue, whose site is still up, passed away earlier this year. Mac Joseph, who gave us Old Ladywood, was last I heard, not well, and his site has gone.
Keith Berry passed away, and some of his photos have been resurrected. Ted Rudge although still alive as far as I know, closed his site, Winson Green to Brookfields. Some of the material is available through web archives, but sad that they are gone. But these people were human beings, and with lives of their own, and sometimes the work, and cost, of maintaining a website can be too much in later years.

Came across these postings when also trying to find a shop in Wellington Street, Winson Green which belonged to my cousin's grandparents surname Twamley (not a name to forget) who kept a grocery shop. I know we visited my Aunt & Uncle (the Aunt being the daughter of the shop owners) who after losing both parents married and lived in the shop - now converted to a house - in the 1930-40's. I recall it was on the railway side of Wellington Street but do not have the house number and my cousin doesn't recall it (she was only 5 or 6 when they moved away). I have copied the picture to her in the hope it stirs her memory (she is now approaching 80). Does anyone recall other grocery type shops in Wellington Street, on the railway side?

There are an Ada Ellen and Ivy Eileen Twamley listed at 117 Wellington St on the ERs in the 1930s, this appears to be on the railway side.

Ada married a Henry Spiers and was still there in 1945.

Their father died in 1911 and their mother in 1922.

Last edited:
Spot on and thanks, Ada was my aunt (married to Henry (Harry) Spiers and with her sister Ivy ran the shop for while after their mother died in 1922. So it was 117 Wellington Street (yes odd numbers were the railway side) so will pass this on to my cousin, save her racking her brain to recall the number. Love posting to the Forum more often than not comes up trumps,

Back