• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by nobby

1. N

Census Occupation. Minds Home??

I think I'm digging a deep hole for myself with the feminist brigade assuming that minding a home isn't an occupation!! Treat me gently ladies! Regards Martin
  2. N

Thanks for the suggestion. I really must look more carefully... as in Minding the Home. I assumed it as being an occupation name rather than a statement of what she did in the home. Still open minded so any more suggestions gratefully received. Regards Martin
  3. N

Whilst looking up a relative on the 1911 Census, Dor(r)is Verina Speak(e) of 48 St Stephens Road, Selly Park, it says that her occupation was 'Minds Home'. Anyone with any ideas as to what this work was? Just wondered if it was saying where she worked as in a mental home. Really stuck on...
  4. N

St Lukes Road

I can't remember I'm afraid. But another family has just sprung into my mind... The Baylis family... their house was on Belgrave Road and backed onto the Bombed Peck behind our house. There were 13 kids from memory! I'm sure a majority of them went to Hope Street School too. I remember...
  5. N

St Lukes Road

Good to hear from you Liz. I think you might have been there around the time I was. The only Liz I remember was a Liz Carling around that area... she lived further down St Lukes Road next to the Hebrew School. I was always in awe of her... she could run soooo fast!
  6. N

St Lukes Road

New member and thrilled at the various reminisceces of posters on here. When I was in my early years I lived at 86 St Lukes Road, my nan's house. Both myself and my two parents all attended Hope St School at various times on our lives. The entrance on St Lukes Road was next to Nene's shop. I...
Back