• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Lukes Road

nobby

Brummie babby
New member and thrilled at the various reminisceces of posters on here.

When I was in my early years I lived at 86 St Lukes Road, my nan's house. Both myself and my two parents all attended Hope St School at various times on our lives. The entrance on St Lukes Road was next to Nene's shop. I remember the penny tray... us kids would take ages choosing our sweets... and the triangular bags of Kayli.

Our world revolved around the bombed out area at the back of nans house called 'The Bombed Peck'. Anyone know where the word 'Peck' comes from for an area of land?

Nan also took lodgers in... I remember a youth called Malachi and a young woman with a daughter... again foreign I think. Malachi had an air rifle and I remember sitting with him on the Peck shooting cans and such like... this would have been at the time of the slum clearance in that area.

My parents and I eventually got moved to a property near Barnes Hill and my nan to a high rise flat in Longbridge.

Still look back very fondly at those times... we didn't have much, didn't ask for much, and certainly didn't get much yet looking back, perhaps through rose coloured glasses, I did have good times there.

Any other people go to Hope St School? I remember a friend Colin Foster... birthdate of 1st March in the same class as me... but other names are a distant memory.

Would be good to hear from anyone.

Hi i went to Hope St 62/65 knew a few people in St Lukes Rd,from school,

Good to hear from you Liz. I think you might have been there around the time I was. The only Liz I remember was a Liz Carling around that area... she lived further down St Lukes Road next to the Hebrew School. I was always in awe of her... she could run soooo fast!

Hi the name Carling rings a bell,did she have a bother Raymond,can't say i knew them but the name is familiar from school

I can't remember I'm afraid. But another family has just sprung into my mind... The Baylis family... their house was on Belgrave Road and backed onto the Bombed Peck behind our house. There were 13 kids from memory! I'm sure a majority of them went to Hope Street School too.

I remember Cogswells the greengrocers on the corner of St Lukes Road and Pershore Road... next door to that was a chinese laundry... I remember the blue windows... then a newsagents (the name escaped me). Half way down St Lukes Road between Nene's and the Hebrew School was a small garage. Where I had to go get a gallon of paraffin to put in the bedroom heaters in our house.

I wish I could remember some of the teachers names... Did you ever listen to Peter and the Wolf being played in the Main Hall to all the school? That is one of the few things that has stuck in my mind. Also a delegation of kids were taken to Birmingham University for a meal one year... I had to say thank you and hand over a potted plant as thanks on behalf of us all. I wonder if they thought we needed a good feeding!

It's amazing how things come into my mind as we talk... It's opening up an unforgotten world!

I only went to Hope St seniors before that i went to Rea Street,so Mr Drayton was head when i started but he left and Mr Benson was head,Mr Green was deputy,Mr Barlow was head before Mr Drayton,Mr Evans, Mr Hill, Miss Horton, Mr Wilson, Miss Chamberlain,
Mrs Stott, The Eades, McGann, Moriss a couple of names i remember that lived in St Lukes Rd

hello all, i went to Hope st school till about 1953, but i cant remember anyone except posibily a lad by the name of Michael Dairy, and a teacher by the name of mrs Masterantony and my, i think first teacher mrs Summertn. i well remember the shop next to the school and Nina i think her name was , remember seeing her years later working in the old Woolworths market hall.

shardeen

Hello Shardeen sorry i didn't go until 1961 so i dont remember the people you mention,i do remember Woolworths though.

HI THERE
I CAN RECALL ST LUKES RD FROM MANY YEARS AGO FROM WHEN I WAS A LITTLE WHIPPER SNAPPER
AND IN FACT ALL THAT AREA USED TO BE BEATIFULLY TREE LINED
AND FROM ONE END OF BELGRAVE RD TO THE OTHER END
AND WHEN I FIRST LEFT SCHOOL I WAS A SLATERS MATE ON HOUSE ROOFING
FOR A MR DIVIS WHOM YARD WAS AROUND IN WRENTHAM ST NEXT TO THE PICTURE HOUSE
AND HE GOT A CONTRACT FROM THE BUSH HOUSE [ CITY COUNCL FOR REPAIRING
ALL THE DAMAGE HOUSEING ROOFS IN THE AREA THERE WAS HARDLY ANY HOUSE UP ST LUKES RD
AND IN FACT ANY HOUSE WE DID NOT DO
IT WAS A CRACKING AREA IN THOSE AYS TO LIVE AROUND THERE
WE EVEN DONE THE OLD VARNA RD ;;
HAVE A NICE DAY EVERY BODY ; BEST WISHES Astonian;;;;

Hello when my parents first came to England St Lukes Rd was the first place they lived,it was before i was born,but they stayed in that area for many years and it was a lovely place it unfortunately went down hill rapidly,

I was at hope Street from the infant's in 1949 to leaving seniors in 1959. I lived at the top part of St Lukes Road between Pershore Rd and Vere St, the public house (the Bosted Boot) was on the corner of St Lukes Road and Vere St. My school years I was known as John O'Reilly.

Back