• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by mike jenks

1. M

Hospital Street

hi Quite remarkable my mothers Family were Moran's. I tracked the first of many Grand Fathers to an 1891 Census to Hospital Street. Patrick and his Wife Mary Fallen were married in St Chads in 1853. Part of the huge Irish population that had emigrated to Birmingham. I have copied the census for...
  2. M

BSA Testers.

Hi The winter of 1962/1963 was particularly severe and played havoc with traditional outdoor sports and the BBC had the bright idea of showing motocross, when frost and snow ruled out any soccer on a Saturday afternoon. Those heroes like Jeff Smith, Arthur Lampkin, Dave Bickers, Chris Horsfield...
  3. M

Tony Hancock

Hi Well done Alf Top man. Should have checked. Own Goal Although the Bllues had a good win at Cardiff. Mike Jenks
  4. M

Martin Shaw.

Hi Yes a real Brummie went to Great Barr Comprehensive School. Any body out there who was in his class. Born 1945 so he must have been there around 1956 to 1960. Mike Jenks
  5. M

Tony Hancock

Hi very interesting Big Gee I agree I havent seen a thread on Tony. Possibly the greatest TV comic. His humour was Classic I cant remember any stupid jokes no bad Language never smiled or laughed at his own jokes. His Radio performances were equal to his TV programmes. Mike Jenks
  6. M

Swimming Lessons

Hi I tried to Swim all over the place in those day's at School. Never got on with it drank half of the Baths. Green Lane Kent Street and grove Lane. One year a group of from Kynochs went to Le Touget on the French Coast. We pushed out into the deep water and without any trouble I was off. Its...
  7. M

Turner Brothers Toolmakers

Hi Spoke to Dad about Harry Oakley. Sorry the picture isnt of him. Dad remembers Harry Oakley he say's that he was the son of the Foreman Joe Oakley who worked for the Section Leader Tommy Askey. Best I can do Mike Jenks
  8. M

hi it may be I will check with Dad let you know Mike Jenks
  9. M

Downing/Willis

Hi Yes Northwood Street. My family lived there for a while after the first World War. I have a few photo's showing the area and type of housing. Marlbourgh Place shows the typical housing which was located close by. Mike Jenks
  10. M

Names of Pubs?

hi Another Red Lion. taken in 1938 I noticed the Beer was Alsops? Our Families clain to Fame My Nans Sister Leah Burton nee Dudley. married a certain Bill Burton. Formerley he was a big wig in the George Mason chain. He strangely took over the Red Lion in Walsal Wood. We visited her often it...
  11. M

Hi Found a few photo's of Dad at Turner Brothers. He worked in the Planning department for around 12 years 1950's to mid 1960's. Included in the photo's are Les Stevenson, Allan Thompson, Ben Sheppard, Bill Price, Harry Dalaway, Walter Harris (section Head) Harry Grear, Eric Smalley, Fred...
  12. M

British Timkin

Hi Going through a few of Dad's Photo's I stumbled across a Copy of the Efficiency department. Dad headed this department in the 1950's. Unfortunately it closed down and work transfered to Northampton Duston. The Picture shows Dad far right at his leaving do. He went to Turner Brothers for the...
  13. M

The Cold War

Hi Strange how the chilly winds of the Cold War are blowing around again. Back in the Summer of 63 the 22 Clob of great Barr went to Berlin. For 3 weeks 6hrs per day we toiled on the Hill known as Teuferlsberg. In English it is the Devils Mountain. We dug trenches for later tree planting. the...
  14. M

Bacons End

Hi Yes Bacons End my ears still ring out to the tune of it. We lived off the Water Orton road and the two Midland Red Buses we used were the 161 and 171. Outside the Odeon in those day's. 1946 to 1953. Often we would have to catch the 168. This terminated at Bacons End. I can still here the...
  15. M

Lucas Great King Street demolition

Hi Some photo's from our Estimating Group from Great King Street. Our Office was located in the M2 area of the Main Office block. 1966 to 1970 was my era. Grace one of the Office workers is leaving to have her baby. The other photo is our retirement group. We meet evey year. Mike Jenks
Back