• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by matelot

1. M

Soho Hill

As I recall that was the original home of GEE'S Curry Patties, and one restaurant of Rusty Lee.
  2. M

Soho Hill

Great Photographs, Allports used to be the agents our Landlord Used ( Mr Mansfield ) and where we had to pay the rent for the House we had in The Crescent and later South Rd, I think originally they were in Richmond Rd
  3. M

Villa Road Milk Bar

I used to work next Door to the Pole Star Milk Bar, when I worked there it was Bob Harrisson's the Butcher, but the front door step carried the name of Preedy"s Tobaconist, inccidently the Pole Star in my time was run by a Mr Michael and his family.
  4. M

FLIGHT's Coaches

5. M

FLIGHT's Coaches

With a similar LOGO to Flights Coach Company does anyone recall a Flights Car Dealership, Agents for Morris, MG and Wolseley Cars?
  6. M

Kalamazoo

Just realised name may help that's Paul Court ( the Butcher that knew Rose )
  7. M

Kalamazoo

Wow, I think that's lucky I think the last time we met was at your wedding and so long ago, would love to catch up and if wanted, we could fill in the gaps, thoughts? x
  8. M

Soho Hill

Looking at some of the Photographs reminds me of that area in Early 1960 through to 1970. First the Shops opposite the Roebuck Pub was a Ladies outfitter, and was derelict for many years, the women who owned it had a son who lived there for many years even when derelict. The shops on the top of...
  9. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Sadly no pictures of crescent was in touch with Tony Jennings up to about 20 years ago, in fact read his moms Meter when she moved out of New town to retirement home small world, next time speak to Jan will remember you to her with pleasure, sounds as if all good your end but probably with usual...
  10. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Yes that is correct it was the biggest pension scandal after the Mirror Group luckily for me I had not long started paying in to pension so when I was made redundant I was able to withdraw all my payments but some very dear friends lost so much and their retirement plans were trashed. I remember...
  11. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Potted History for me Apprentice Engineer local factory CW Cheney and Son ( mom worked there) Royal Navy Communicator MEB Slot Meter Emptier then MEB became Eon I became Metering Engineer and left in in 2013 House Husband since old Nationalised Industry Pension made me offer could not refuse...
  12. M

Soho Road Handsworth

You only asked if Paul or Michael no mention of Janet, here is one from memory bank last time I saw you was when you pulled up outside our house in South Road in a Mini ( car not skirt ) after having its suspension pumped, do you recall that?
  13. M

Soho Road Handsworth

This is Paul brother of Michael who is this ?
  14. M

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Yes thanks for correction on the Sarah Club, and I knew that it was Bloomers or Knickers at Yardley, just could not remember which way round, thanks for clarifying, and yes the RAF club became Rafters not sure what if anything it is today.
  15. M

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

My late Father in Law, John Goodall was a regular there despite been a 'Pongo' ( soldier ), he was also at one time manager of Wineways on the Soho Rd, another regular was the Vicar Father Price, of St Michaels church, he became Cannon Price on his retirement, and lived in Brosil Ave, Handswoth Wood
Back