• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Les

1. L

Shops on Aston Church Road

There used to be a coal merchants by the name of Dixons at the top end of Aston Church Road, Washwood Heath, in the 1950's
  2. L

Washwood Heath bus garage

Thanks for that Ash. It's always nice to know how your old workmates are getting on and what they have been up to since you last saw them. Les
  3. L

Washwood Heath

Just about remember it. Used to catch the tram at Bennetts Road up to the Fox and Goose (picture) tram terminus then get the bus to Chipperfield Road to visit my Aunt. The trams finished in 1952 when I was 7 years of age.
  4. L

P.S.V. Badge

John used to live in Water Orton. I don't know the exact address or whether he still lives there. Might be worth checking the phone book.
  5. L

Yes. That's right. He transferred to Washwood Heath and became an inspector. He was a mate of mine, so if anyone knows where he is now perhaps you could let me know.
  6. L

I was an inspector at Washwood Heath in the early 1990's Other inspectors that I can remember at that time are George Painting, Ray Allsop (if anyone knows of his whereabouts please let me know as I would love to get in contact with him again), Tony Haywood, Roger Banks and Cheryl Murtagh. In...
  7. L

P.S.V. Badge

I wonder where all those people are now.
  8. L

P.S.V. Badge

I used to check on the no 28 in the early 1990's. Vaughan was a likeable guy. His stepdad was an inspector at Lea Hall and I think his mom ran a florist shop. I went to his daughters christening party and tasted curried goat for the very first time! I believe Vaughan came out as a checker at...
  9. L

There were 5 brothers in all. Rick and Colin were there when I started in the 60's. Rod, Paul and Dave started later. Ricky and Colin and Paul had left the job when I went back to Washwood in the early nineties but Rod and Dave were still there and remained so until I left there in about 1994...
  10. L

When I first started at Washwood Heath in the early sixties we had quite a few conductresses. I can remember Kitty Walker, Mabel Smith and Dolly Hammond. One of the driving instructors was Sid Johnson and others later included Bill Jones and Eric Howell. Inspectors in those days included...
  11. L

Nice picture. Tony became the Traffic Manager at Washwood Heath in the 1990's but, after a management restructure, he went back as a bus driver at Lea Hall Bus Garage until he finished on the job.
  12. L

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Hi Wendy, I knew all of them. Brian, Mick and Pauline lived in Chartist Road and I lived in Bennetts Road. Colin lived in Common Lane and I think he had a younger brother called Kevin. Brian was a couple of years older than me but Mick and Colin were class mates of mine at Leigh Road School...
  13. L

He is probably thinking of Ricky and Colin Cole. I don't think that they were related to Tony.
  14. L

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

I havent looked on this site for a while and notice that you were asking about the Aishes. I remember them well. I went out with Brian Aish when I was a teenager. I was very sorry to read on here that he died. He had a brother Micky and a sister Pauline. Both boys were blond (and good looking)...
  15. L

Sadly Tony died a couple of years ago. He was a great guy and I can remember him teaching me to drive when we first met in the 1960's when we were both bus conductors at Washwood Heath. I also met Shirley several times and can remember them being very fond of each other. It was a great shock...
Back