• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Lady Penelope

1. Lady Penelope

AVERY SCALES HISTORY

Thanks Lyn. I thought that would be the case. Graham and a friend are looking into John Wyatt's inventions at the moment so I'll do a bit of emailing to see if there is any hope of visiting. If we do manage to get in I'll let you know so that you can come too. It's a faint hope but nothing...
  2. Lady Penelope

United Reformed Church, Holly Lane, Erdington.

Hello Alan, Welcome to the forum. I missed your thread when you posted it but went to Erdington Historical Society last night and it was announced that you were searching for a picture of your church doors. I know I've seen one but where I just can't remember. Firstly, I expect you've tried...
  3. Lady Penelope

Fountains.

There used to be a monument in St Philip's churchyard to Colonel Burnaby who I think fought in the Sudan campaign.
  4. Lady Penelope

GET WELL SOON ERIC....(cookie273uk)

Very Best Wishes for a speedy recovery. Get well soon Eric, Graham & Penny
  5. Lady Penelope

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

Maria, I think they opened it for limited access in the lead up to and during the Commonwealth Games. As I understand it there is considerable work to be done including updating the electrics (including lifts) and carrying out repairs to the roof. It closed on 13th November. We are hoping to go...
  6. Lady Penelope

MERRY CHRISTMAS BHF 2022

Happy Christmas to Everyone! Parker and I will raise a glass on Christmas Day to everyone who keeps BHF going especially Jim, Warren and all the moderators. I've been very grateful for all the help and information I've received over the years. Looking forward to learning a lot more. Many thanks...
  7. Lady Penelope

Erdington

Pedro, I think the clincher is that the rail has no bend and there is a definite one at Chester Road also there's no footbridge which you can see in the far distance at Chester Road. The tall trees in the centre of the original photo would have been on what is now the Lyndhurst Estate but was...
  8. Lady Penelope

Rivers : Forgotten Streams or Brooks of Birmingham

On old maps this appears as the Hawthorn Brook and used to supply the 'Swimming Bath' for the trainee priests at the College. It's also mentioned on the Birmingham Racing thread as it was a 'hazard' for the steeple chases held on Rabbit Warren Farm. I think someone posted on a different thread...
  9. Lady Penelope

Erdington

Pedro, the boundaries frequently change in this area and quite often around the early 1900's it appears as Erdington rather than Sutton as it is now. Here's a couple of pictures of Chester Road station for comparison taken around the same time.
  10. Lady Penelope

Then & Now

I am shocked by some of the rents charged for these apartments until I remember that the occupiers earn far more than I'm getting at the moment (or ever got!) It's all relative isn't it?
  11. Lady Penelope

Sutton Park

There are some very good walks organised in the park, some organised by the Park Rangers and Rob Pocock explaining about how the park is being managed and some by an archaeologist explaining the history of the park. I think they will have finished for this year by now but I'll look out for any...
  12. Lady Penelope

Morturns birthday

Many Happy Returns Mort.
  13. Lady Penelope

Sutton Park

Viv, this was the cafe and boathouse built in 1939 which now houses the Miller & Carter restaurant. In his book 'The History of Boldmere', Ken Williams states that the pool could have been named after a farmer but this, I think, is only a guess. At one time the pool was known as New Forge Mill...
  14. Lady Penelope

Sutton Park

mw0njm, this is Blackroot pool and the raft was in the middle of Keepers, the swimming pool where the lido was.
  15. Lady Penelope

Sutton Park

Viv, it was a mill. I'm attaching a link to the Sutton Coldfield Local History Research Group which will take you to a history of the mill since 1734. https://sclhrg.org.uk/history-spot/101-articles-1-40/1877-longmoor-pool-10.html
Back